Seeking advice.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by thebeatles, Feb 19, 2010.

1. thebeatles

thebeatles TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    A local tea shop has asked me to take some "spill" shots of their different teas. When I say spill shots I am referring to something like this: > [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pomegranate-White-Tea-Loose-Leaf/dp/B001UYY0TM/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=gourmet-food&qid=1266628489&sr=8-10"]link[/ame] <
    It doesn't need to be artsy or anything, just a basic product shot displaying the tea. I guess I should also mention this is loose leaf tea (like in the link), not bagged tea. I agreed to do the photos for free, as I am not very confident with my abilities as a photographer yet. I only have one flash that I can use off camera and I am not experienced with off camera flash yet, specifically flash placement. Any tips would be appreciated. I want to do the best job I can so any advice is good advice. :thumbup: Thanks in advance folks! :D

2. williambarry

williambarry TPF Noob!

He who agrees to do work for free is undervaluing his time. Even the people who take pictures at sears make minimum wage.

3. thebeatles

thebeatles TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If I weren't friends with these people, I would not be as inclined to do something like this for free. I don't know if you have seen any of my photos either, they aren't exactly top notch. :lol:

4. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Soft box, white sweep, hot lighting as many sides as you can (front, sides, back, shoot from top), shoot raw, set a custom white balance when you are all set up....

5. thebeatles

thebeatles TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the advice. :thumbup:

Are you implying that one flash wont cut it?

6. williambarry

williambarry TPF Noob!

The more artistic shots you have created may not be the best in the world, but proper lighting and settings on a camera for something like this will do the work for you. I am not opposed to working for friends and family, but if someone learns you have done it for free before for family and friends then in the long run you end up with a lot of friends who didn't care enough about your endeavor to be a customer.

7. thebeatles

thebeatles TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good point. :thumbup:

8. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was just going with my preference of constant lighting Vs strobe, for this kind of stuff. With hot light, what you see is what you get, you're not working with light at a fraction of a second, so you can see what you like and adjust it quickly.
    Its also pretty cheap to do.

As for one strobe, I would say it would be a bit more difficult. I sat through a lighting course and the dude who was setting up a product shot in a lightbox had enough strobes to vaporize the item, he said it was necessary and I would admit his images were good.

9. chammer

chammer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i think if this is what you have to work with it'll be fine. its all i have as well, and i'd have no issue using either or both of my flashes off camera for this.

10. thebeatles

thebeatles TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the advice everyone. :thumbup: