Seeking new UWA or WA zoom.

A/Ox4

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I am looking to spend some tax return money on a new lens. I mostly shoot for the local fire departments, but also do some for hire work, mostly commercial property, vehicles, etc. I also really like landscape photography.

I have a Nikon D750, a Tamron 70-200 2.8 and a Tokina 16-28 2.8 PRO.
I have a wide gap between 28mm and 70mm that I need to fill, but I'm actually looking at replacing the Tokina 16-28 in favor of a lens without a bulbus front element, and one that's maybe lighter. One issue with the Tokina is distortion with no profile in Lightroom to correct for it. It also catches a LOT of glare from lights and the sun.

I really like the idea of a Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR. I shoot a lot at 2.8, but with the VR, I could probably get away with F/4, which would be good for DOF.

Any recommendations on other WA zooms? I know Sigma and Tamron have some good lenses in that range.

Examples:
DSC_5922.jpg by Trey Spooner Photography, on Flickr

DSC_4532.jpg by Trey Spooner Photography, on Flickr

DSC_5622 by Trey Spooner Photography, on Flickr​

The Tamron 15-30 f2.8 is fantastic lens. Still has the bulbous front element and its not any lighter but it has a good profile in Lightroom and doesn't glare with lights. You can have the sun in the photo and just get a nice starburst. The VR also works very well I've gone out shooting in the middle of the night handheld. Here is an example.
DSC_7761.jpg

You're really going to limit your choices when you dismiss any option that has a bulbous front element. It's like saying, "I want a new car, but I don't want anything that uses a steering wheel!".

I could tolerate a bulbus lens. I mostly wanted to be able to use filters, but I could get a prime or another lens I suppose too.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back