Seeking Portfolio Advice and thoughts.

elementgs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.element.gs
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Would any of you happen to have any thoughts as to how I could improve the organization and flow of my portfolio?

I've been unhappy with it for a while now and frankly I believe it's a bit cluttered at the moment - http://gallery.element.gs

I have a few major problems as I see it.

1. Entirely too much content on there.
2. Too diversified of a focus.
3. Categories aren't accurately containing all of my photography.

In terms of my personal feelings, one of my chief complaints right now is that at least 60% of my work from 2015 and 2016 doesn't even fit under any of the existing categories so I don't even have my newest stuff online.

A lot of it is random scenes, street photography, objects, light, etc... really just miscellaneous stuff.. I just hate the thought of burying it under a tab named, "Misc", because it's not just misc work...

I have two other websites which are specifically for Architectural and Portraiture/Weddings/Family and have been considering removing that work from my personal portfolio for a while which would allow me to narrow the focus tremendously, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Edit: My overall goal is to create an archive to contain all of my photos, and then offer a more focused story, delivering my best photos moving forward.

I started working towards that with Photography by John Gannon and since then have created Aspect and am now working on EverAfter as well, so in terms of offering a focused approach, I believe I will be able to accomplish that goal fairly easily.

So moving forward, I believe I am leaning towards a fundamental restructure of this collection and expanding the categories to capture everything I have taken and then allowing me to pluck photos from there and share them elsewhere as needed...

Thank you for reading, any thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited:
I would really condense it. Nobody wants to wade through lots of photos.

A few "categories" such as landscapes, ships, piers ... and no more than 5-10 in each category - but make the homepage simpler, less noisy, put up your best photo on the front page.

That's what I'm trying to achieve on mine anyhow :) Squarespace - Claim This Domain

So what is the overall purpose this portfolio is supposed to serve?

My goal is to create an archive to contain all of my photos, and then from there doing as BrightByNature has indicated and give a focused story by delivering my best foot forward.

I started working towards that with www.element.gs and I have Aspect.gs and Everafter.gs as well, so in terms of offering a focused approach, I believe I will be able to accomplish that goal fairly easily.

So moving forward, I believe I am leaning towards a fundamental restructure of this site and expanding the categories to capture everything I have taken and then allowing me to pluck photos from there and share them elsewhere as needed...

(I think I'll edit the main post to reflect this as this is definitely the point)

So what is the overall purpose this portfolio is supposed to serve?

My goal is to create an archive to contain all of my photos, and then from there doing as BrightByNature has indicated and give a focused story by delivering my best foot forward.

Your best foot forward.. again, for what purpose? Is the ultimate goal here to impress possible paying clients? Or build an archive for your personal use, etc? It should be one purpose.. not both. So which is it your really trying to achieve here?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back