Seeking publication advice

Vagabonderz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I am seeking some advice. I'm an amateur photographer and I host my pictures on Flickr. I have just received an email from a publishing company requesting permission to use an image for a book cover (non-exclusive use she specifies). I've never been approached before.

She gives links to the company and the author and it all looks legit. It is a book that will be published in June 2009 and they are printing 3000 copies (paperback, distributed in Australia and NZ only - I am living in Melbourne currently). Their offer to me is $300 plus 10 copies of the book. She goes on to say I would retain copyright of the image and I would get credit on the book jacket.

Needless to say I am completely inexperienced in this matter, which is why I am here. While I just feel honored and flattered that they would like my picture so much, I would like to make sure I am doing the right thing. Does this offer sound reasonable? If so, and if I go ahead with it, what can I expect in terms of legalities, paperwork, etc?

Thank you much in advance.

Carlo

I can't comment on the price you have been offered (simply something that I don't know) however non-exclusive use, credit on the jacket and retaining your copywrite sound good. Have you checked out the publisher of the book (a book forum might be best to ask) to make sure that they are both legitimate and likley to get into bookstores?
Aside from that it sounds good at least - make sure though that you make up and both agree to a contract of use for this image - stating specifically what they are buying with their money that way you are protected in the future.

Thanks for the advice. I have checked out the publisher and the author's site. Both look very legit. The author is already established and has had several books published. I am just wondering about the offer...I don't know if I am supposed to negotiate? To be honest, I'm quite happy and flattered to get any kind of offer for this...I'm more concerned with getting some exposure (which the credit will do) and adding to my portfolio.

But at the same time I do want to make sure I am not being taken advantage of and ensure I am getting a fair deal. It sounds reasonable to me...but I really have no idea.

Well first off the rights to the image and the usage of the image appear to be very fair to me - they want one single usage of the photo for the front of a single product, which you will be credited for.
That they are not after exclusive rights means that the price on the image is down, but it also means that you retain the right to sell that image to other interested parties at a later date without problems.
Honestly with regard to price I can't say if it is or is not fair since I am not the market at all - all I can say is that I would not pass up the opportunity like this - its getting your name out into the world and getting you paid for publicity.

All I can advise is possibly looking up some other photographers in your country who have had photos published on the front of books (make sure that they are not from the same publisher as the one you are dealing with currently - sometimes people get bitter if they are not chosen) and just see how much they got paid for their images.

Of course their might be a time limit on your acceptance of this deal - research is key, but if the publishers are a solid company then I would not want an opportunity like this to pass by - :)

Awesome for you. I don't have experience with the "legal" issues, but if all that works out for you I'd say it sounds like the price is right "for you". If you're happy (and it sounds like you are) with the fact that you'll be published I'd say go for it. Sometimes getting greedy will kill a deal. Not that I think you're getting greedy, just to say, you sound happy... go for it!:thumbup::thumbup:

Hey, thanks a lot guys. Really appreciate the feedback. I think you're right, just needed some reinforcement :). Anyways, I've replied and let her know I am interested in her offer so we'll see where it goes from here. Cheers

I'd put in a clause to the effect of further payment if the book ends up with greater demand, further reprints, best seller etc, 300 dollars is small potatoes but its a start and may get you other work in future. H

Most reactions

New Topics

Back