Seeking Recommendations!

Christina Elisa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello! I've been lurking in these forums for a while now and I feel the time has come for me to make a "what camera should I buy?" post.

My price range for camera and lenses is about a thousand all together. I would love to be able to shoot landscapes, pictures of clouds, flowers, sunsets, rainstorms, snowstorms, the full moon, etc. I also would like to be able to do some portraiture. I have seen some truly breathtaking portraits where I was really intrigued by how the lighting was used on the subject's face and I'd love to learn how to do that myself. As far as the camera, I'm not sure if dslr or mirrorless would be the way to go. I'm basically looking for a reliable camera that is capable of taking good quality photos that I can learn the finer points of ISO, aperture, etc. on. I'm also keen on buying some lenses to learn with as well, so if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. I'd ideally like to have a well rounded kit that would allow me to experiment with different types of photography and see what works for me.

I'm also looking for really good reference books to study from. I've tried looking for local (and even not so local) photography classes but I live in an economically depressed area and there are few resources available. I've been watching YouTube tutorials by Peter McKinnon and Bryan Peterson but that can only help so much when I don't even have a camera to play around with yet. I really and truly am new to this, I have no prior knowledge of anything to do with photography and to be honest all the terminology I've been reading is making my head spin. All I know is I have things in my life that I desperately want to capture and I am beyond frustrated with my inability to do that on my iPhone camera. I work a high stress job and I realized recently that I don't have any creative outlet. I've always loved viewing other people's pictures and I want to try my hand at it.

I really enjoy the work of Olivia Bee and Peter McKinnon and I would love to try to replicate the quality/tone of their work. I know it's going to take years to get to that point and I'll have to buy much more expensive gear in the future but that is ideally where I would like to take this hobby. For now, however, I'm content to start off in the beginner/enthusiast range of gear. I'm really just trying to be smart about my purchases and start myself off on the right track. Any advice would be gladly appreciated. Thank you so much everyone!

For camera and lenses for you beginners needs I would recommend one of these two...........
Nikon D5500 with the kit lens 18-55mm, its good for general use and landscape, to that add the Nikon 50mm 1.8G which is a great portrait lens on crop sensor camera and great for low light situations, its also an affordable lens.
You can also consider the Nikon D3300 which is cheaper and still an excellent camera with same two lenses.

Don't rush to buy more, use these to learn photography and in time as you progress and know more you can buy more lenses and accessories if you need them.

Welcome to TPF.

Very well written intro and help post.

I can't guide you to a specific camera/lens combination but others will shortly. What I do recommend is that you take the suggestions, find a retailer and go handle these cameras. See how comfortable each is in the hand. Look at how well the menus are laid out. How do the features compare. With this data a best camera for you or at least best two cameras should present themselves.

Welcome to TPF.

Very well written intro and help post.

I can't guide you to a specific camera/lens combination but others will shortly. What I do recommend is that you take the suggestions, find a retailer and go handle these cameras. See how comfortable each is in the hand. Look at how well the menus are laid out. How do the features compare. With this data a best camera for you or at least best two cameras should present themselves.

I agree, go to a store and handle a Canon 800D, 77D, etc.
And definitely check out the mirrorlesss models - smaller, lighter but can still use the big DSLR lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

The decision to either go for DSLR or Mirrorless can be decided by looking into the viewfinder. Try to manually focus with each. Try to follow fast moving object with each. Make sure the diopter adjustment is correctly adjusted for your eye sight.

I'm content to start off in the beginner/enthusiast range of gear.
Hello!

What is your projected budget for the initial purchase?

Hi! I'm willing to go up to about $800 for the camera but my budget is super flexible. I work a job I'm not really fond of to have $$ in the bank for my hobbies. I'm really just looking for a good starter camera and gear that I can learn on with an eye to upgrading in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Yes, I agree: NIkon D3300 or D5300 are the current "value leaders". Lens wise, the 18-55 VR lens is a great value, look at best Buy and Walmart for those two cameras packaged with that 18-55 VR lens for a good,low price. Second lens: the 50mm f/1.8 AF-S G is a decent choice. Low-cost, single focal length lens. NEXT lens: 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G series single length telephoto, plus a ProOptic 12mm or 20mm extension tube, for close-up shots of small things.

The CAMERA is the box that holds the lens...I would save the money, and get the D3300, rather than the 5300, and spend more on lenses.

I will never tell a beginner to buy a mirrorless camera, and then to use "adapter SLR lenses" on it; that is for experiencd shooters only. NATIVE-mount lenses are worth their cost for the beginner! Canon on Canon, Nikon on Nikon, Souy on Sony!

Lenses last for decades (typically two decades before a lens needs to be upgraded/replaced by something 'better'). The 35mm prime, 50mm prime, and 85mm prime lenses are Nikon's best values.

Flash? Buy a Neewer Made in China Flash for $70-$80 or so.

Extension tube: buy one that KEEPS autofocus and woprks with the system! KENKO or ProOptic, and not one of those POS, $9, non-CPU, non-AF tubes from China! SPend the $49-$70 for the AF tube with the CPU contacts for your system!

There is an alternate camera: NIkon D3400, and the 70-300mm f/4.5~6.3 AF-P VR lens, along with the 18-55mm AF-P VR lens, and the 50mm 1.8 G-series lens, and the Neewer flash, and a 12mm or 20mm extension tube for close-up shots,: this qould be a potent kit. add the $400 85mm f/1.8 lens when you can afford it.

I'm content to start off in the beginner/enthusiast range of gear.
Hello!

What is your projected budget for the initial purchase?

Hi! I'm willing to go up to about $800 for the camera but my budget is super flexible. I work a job I'm not really fond of to have $$ in the bank for my hobbies. I'm really just looking for a good starter camera and gear that I can learn on with an eye to upgrading in the future.

I agree, Canon 800D, 750D, etc are the current "value leaders" but go to a store and handle all the models. The mirrorless options from Sony, Fuji, Canon, Olympus, etc. may be the most upgradable because they can use any lens

So after reviewing my options I'm 50/50 split on getting the Nikon 5500 or the Nikon 5300. Right now there is a sale at Best Buy for the 5500 with a 18-55mm lens and 70-300mm lens for $599. I think that is a pretty good deal and I'm leaning toward making the purchase. Anyone have any input? Thanks in advance!

In my opinion, the D5500 with the 18-55 mm and 70-300 mm lenses at $599 is the best deal going right now. I'm not sure how Nikon is putting it on the market for that price. While I am not real excited about either lens, the are perfectly adequate for most casual photographers. Keep in mind that the 70-300 mm that comes with the kit does not have vibration reduction, so you will need a decent tripod for long shots.

In my opinion, the D5500 with the 18-55 mm and 70-300 mm lenses at $599 is the best deal going right now. I'm not sure how Nikon is putting it on the market for that price. While I am not real excited about either lens, the are perfectly adequate for most casual photographers. Keep in mind that the 70-300 mm that comes with the kit does not have vibration reduction, so you will need a decent tripod for long shots.

I actually just went out and bought it! I'm so excited!! I had a moment of temptation while handling the D5600, but it was $200 more so I stuck to my guns and left with the D5500. I plan to buy lenses once I start playing around with this camera and figuring out exactly what I want. For now I'm just going to learn how to use this camera as effectively as I can.

Congratulations! Try to stay in touch.

Congratulations! Try to stay in touch.

I definitely will! I'm glad I came across this forum, I really enjoy reading the answers you all provide to us photography newbies. Now that I've had an hour to play around with this new camera I can already tell I'm going to have lots of questions in the future.

Here is a nice tutorial on the D5500. I didn't look at the whole video, but Tony Northrup usually does a pretty good job of introducing the basics of a particular camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back