www.lyptonvillage.org
eternal sunshine of the spotless mind...brilliant
secret window..spooky and jd is fabulous
date with tad hamilton...well the guy in it was cute

you?

Haven't been in a movie house for months.... :cry:

We just rented Lost In Translation, tho. It was pretty good. :D

Kill Bill vol 2 was incredible.
I was looking forward to seeing David Carradine play a bigger role... he delivered. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My most recent movie in the theater was Hell Boy, which was a lot of fun.

Monday night I watched Genghis Blues on DVD and was captivated by both the story and the singing technique. I found that I could do it, so I played with it a little yesterday. I still sound like a cross between a sick goat and a leaf-blower, but at least I can isolate a harmonic and get some overtones.

Me attempting sygyt
Me attempting khöömei

I'm a human didgeridoo! Heh. I just need a lot more practice.

Here's a great article from Scientific American, with samples of the real deal.

21 Grams

A bit confusing in the beginning but captivating more and more when puzzle pieces fall in place.

28 days later
texas chainsaw massacre
pirates of the caribbean

md

manda said:
Mark!
WHOA
A lil background please?

Genghis Blues is about a blind bluesman who taught himself to sing khöömei (Tuvan throat singing). He's the one that wrote "Jet Airliner" covered by the Steve Miller Band.

From Paul's web site:
Paul first heard a fragment of harmonic singing on a shortwave Radio Moscow broadcast on December 29, 1984 and he was so struck by it, he spent almost eight years trying to track down its source. In 1991 he was finally able to locate a recording of Tuvan music and taught himself the vocal techniques known as 'Khoomei, Sygyt, and Kargyraa'. [...] In 1993, Paul attended a concert sponsored by the Friends of Tuva organization and met Kongar-ol Ondar after the performance. Paul gave Kongar-ol an impromptu demonstration--and astonished him with his talent and mastery of traditional Tuvan singing. The two men formed a strong friendship along with their musical collaboration.

In 1995, Kongar-ol invited Paul to sing at the second international Khoomei Symposium and contest, held in Tuva's capital city, Kyzyl. Ralph Leighton and the "Friends of Tuva" sponsored his trip. Paul took first place in the Kargyraa division of the contest and became known as 'Earthquake' for his amazingly deep voice. He also won the 'audience favorite' award. Filmmakers Adrian and Roko Belic accompanied Paul to Tuva to film the contest and his travels through Tuva, guided by Kongar-ol.

Here's the movie site: http://www.genghisblues.com/

Here's an article on that kind of singing.
Examples from the article.
Here's an actual Tuvan song

terri said:
We just rented Lost In Translation, tho. It was pretty good. :D
I thought that was a good movie too. It was a lot different than the stuff usually pumped out by Hollywood. A first I thought it was going to more of a comedy but it more too it than if first expected.

MD said:
pirates of the caribbean
Just saw that too. Now that's a good movie. Good combination of action and comedy. I was surprised at Johnny Depp's role in the movie though. He turned out to be very funny and was a good addition to the movie.

markc, thats pretty cool

I would highly recommend City of God if you don't mind subtitles. Its the best movie I've seen this year, its loosely based on a brasilian lad who tries to escape gang warfare by becoming a photojournalist. :thumbsup:

vonnagy said:
I would highly recommend City of God if you don't mind subtitles. Its the best movie I've seen this year, its loosely based on a brasilian lad who tries to escape gang warfare by becoming a photojournalist. :thumbsup:
A bit of a wait 'till it hits DVD, but I just put it in my Netflix queue.

I thought Lost in Translation was pretty cool, too. I also finally rented My Neighbor Totoro last week. Magical! I've seen most of Miyazaki's other films, and love them all.

I don't mind subtitles in the least - some of the best flicks ever have had them. Crouching Tiger... and Life is Beautiful spring to mind. :D

Am I the only one who thinks Pirates of the Caribbean was lame?? I fell asleep forty minutes into the thing. It didn't hold my interest at all, and Johnny Depp, who I usually like, just looked idiotic to me.

markc said:
...but I just put it in my Netflix queue.
I also have Netflix. It's a great deal in comparision to places like Blockbuster. If you rent more than 4 movies a month it pays for itself.

terri said:
I don't mind subtitles in the least - some of the best flicks ever have had them. Crouching Tiger... and Life is Beautiful spring to mind.

Am I the only one who thinks Pirates of the Caribbean was lame?? I fell asleep forty minutes into the thing. It didn't hold my interest at all, and Johnny Depp, who I usually like, just looked idiotic to me.
Life is Beautiful was good. Although I do admit that I probably would have never seen it if the girl I was dating at the time didn't want to go see it. I don't mind subtitles either as long as the movie is good.

As for Pirates of the Caribbean, Johnny Depp did look idiotic but I think his character play a huge part in my enjoyment of the movie. I did find his constant drunk like state kind of lame, but his character's whitty humor was what I like. The movie would have been completely serious without him.

Most reactions

Back