Sekinchan Fishing Village - A Little Bit of Everything

mylo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Recently, I visited Sekinchan Fishing Village in Selangor, Malaysia. I saw fishermen unloading tons of fishes, prawns, crabs and squids. Other than that, I also witnessed the making of salted fish or 'ham yu'. You would never be bored. The village has a little bit of everything.

Here are some pictures:

Picture 1 - 3 In 1

FISHINGFARM53_0263.jpg

I stumbled upon two biggies on one of the fishing platforms. The 'tauke' (translation: boss) was
waiting for potential buyers/middlemen.

Picture 2 - Grab & Slash

FISHINGFARM34_0109.jpg

A worker was removing the catfish's internal organs. The slaughter area was kind of gory - with
guts and blood splattered everywhere!

Picture 3 - Under The Hot Sun

FISHINGFARM1_0026.jpg

The gutted fish were left to dry in the hot sun for several days. The result is desiccated fish,
free of moisture, which can be kept for months.

Picture 4 - Edible Fish Mummies

FISHINGFARM39_0128.jpg

Look closely....What do you see? I saw two face fish!

Picture 5 - Fixing The Net

FISHINGFARM21_0279.jpg

This Bangladeshi worker was busy repairing the fishing net. The net is HUGE! It's a tedious job.

Thank you for looking! :D
mylo

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like that video of yours, particularly the last couple of seconds with the close-up on the net-mender's working hands!

Your second photo is --- erm --- not quite sooo nice. Not technically speaking, but with regards to the subject... ummm :pale:

And I don't like dried fish... don't like the taste of it.

In terms of how are you capturing the experience, I think you also need to consider the atmosphere, which could mean that you need to step back and look at the bigger environment to see what there are to offer. It can be small things like the cat hiding behind the stall, the "escaped" fish or even interesting thrash you can only find in a fish market. Most importantly, the people. It's never just the objects that make an event. It's always the people that creates the atmosphere. Capturing the energy, action and mood and facial expressions will be a crucial part of what to present.

Most reactions

Back