Seldom seen part of London - Little Venice, Grand Union Canal, Camden Town and Lock

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by dllb, Jun 22, 2006.

1. dllb

dllb TPF Noob!

There is a really neat part of London that not many tourists go to, as I don't think many people are aware of it, and it is off the beaten path. I have been lucky enough to have seen a fair amount of London and I have to admit this was one of the most enjoyable parts of London that I have been to.

These were taken in January so it wasnÂ’t too green.

Showing the way

[​IMG]

Part of the Canals

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drawing a crowd.

[​IMG]

A park beside the canal. World Cup material?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really liked the way the barges were painted, especially this one.

[​IMG]

The houses along the canals were pretty nice.

[​IMG]

Back to the boats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This place was on a street that was just off the canal, to the left of the cafe. It must have been quite the effort to build it.

[​IMG]

I get the distinct feeling that it was not the low rent district.

[​IMG]

A few other places just down the street.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Further along the canal. I didn't see any boats in this area so don't think they are using this part. Some very nice places in a very nice setting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The canal runs behind the zoo.

[​IMG]

At this point, the canal runs off to the left just past the bridge in the picture above, into a very different area with boats again

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moving towards Camden Town and Locks

[​IMG]

A boat in the locks at Camden town

[​IMG]

Just past the locks and into Camden Town. Some parts were just a bit different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. yokeagan

yokeagan TPF Noob!

Awesome photo's! I also liked that they were parts of London that you don't see photographed often if at all. Great job!

3. DestinDave

DestinDave Master of Non Sequitur

Awesome series! Way too many to pick a fave but I loved all the boats on the canal. Are most of the boats privately owned and used as homes? I know Dave Gilmour has a barge he lives on and has a small recording studio aboard. Very interesting shots! Well done...

4. NeoMikel

NeoMikel TPF Noob!

Love the photo's. Great series here, and it honestly makes me want to go there and ride on one of the boats;) haha.

5. Mindii

Mindii TPF Noob!

Wow, thanks for sharing those shots! It was like my own personal tour of London, I really liked the way you had captioned them it made them all the more interesting!
    I liked so many of your shots that I can't pick just one or two to praise.
    Brilliant set!

6. dllb

dllb TPF Noob!

Sorry, I am not aware of the status of the ownership of the barges, but I can say without any reservation that it is well worth the walk. It really is such an under rated and unknown area of London. Hope I don't ruin it.

7. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    What an enjoyable photo series. I like all your pics, and with some I had to think "Hey, like Little Amsterdam right there in London" (though the houseboats on the Amsterdam Grachten look different, I do admit) ... if I would need to point out a favourite, it would be the capture of the nicely painted barge with the dancing couple ... the reflection on which is also so neatly included in the frame!

Maybe I should direct the planners of the TPF UK Meet-Up in London on 2 + 3 September to this thread ... they might consider putting this part into their planning?

And I will move this from Landscape and Nature to the General Gallery, since - although there is a lot of nature to be see, considering it is LONDON, after all! - it is not QUITE what we would have here ... so the General Gallery it is, ok? ;)

8. dllb

dllb TPF Noob!

Absolutely and thank you for your comments.