Selecting a long term camera for beginner

Hi again,

I've been so caught up with work since my last post that I had not been able to respond back, and I still yet to purchase a camera. Okay, so I'm looking to also do some side projects for filming as well, so a camera with 4k cinematic look would be a plus. would the d610 still be the best for my price range factoring all the lenses and equipments i'll be purchasing? Or, will I need a higher end camera for that kinda of niche?
If you don't mind a refurbished camera from Nikon! They are on sale at their website and some retailers for $1,080 right now (until the 24th) (D610 that is, D810's are $2,000 refurbished thats $650 off of new). They will come with a 1 year Nikon warranty too. That's an additional $150 off the price of a brand new one. Years ago I bought a 2nd D300 that was refurbished. Could not tell the difference between it and the one I bought new! The D810 for $2,000 is a very good deal. It's the 2nd best rated camera made right now by DXO labs!

Last edited:
Nikon D610 is a decent camera....not sure about its video features, all I've shot with mine has been a few video clips and a few thousand still images. it's a good sensor in low light. VERY pleased with the FX D610 Nikon camera. A fine, fine,fine image sensor in it!

Mirrorless...small camera body, many larger lenses. The KIT-zoom 16-50mm from Sony looks nice and small on the A6300 or newer body; the other lenses are reasonably large...I like the Sony A6xxx series size camera if I had to go MILC, it would be a Sony.

Look at the poor low-light (star-photo) DxO Mark sensor scores on many smaller MILC units...this is where the FX Nikon and FX Sony sensors shine, and where the D7200 from Nikon is very good.

Mirrorless uses a lot of battery power per hour; this is where the Nikon cameras way out-perform mirrorless: a battery that lasts 3,4 days with light use, or allllllll day and 1,200 shots on one charge ina Nikon D610 battery.

Plenty of good cameras out there.

Hi again,

I've been so caught up with work since my last post that I had not been able to respond back, and I still yet to purchase a camera. Okay, so I'm looking to also do some side projects for filming as well, so a camera with 4k cinematic look would be a plus. would the d610 still be the best for my price range factoring all the lenses and equipments i'll be purchasing? Or, will I need a higher end camera for that kinda of niche?

Anyways, as far as photography goes, like I said I, for all intent and purposes I'll mainly use it to shoot stellar instagram/blog photos consisting of nature, portraits, astrophotography, everyday life. Really, the sky is the limit as far as picture goes. I also will use it to take close up pic of merchandise I'm selling online.
I've been pondering if I shall go for a mirrorless camera over a dslr mainly because of the weight, because I'll love to travel light and I would imagine it'll be a nuisance carrying a large body along with lenses, tripod, etc. However, I do not want to lose out on some key components of a dslr that a mirrorless may lack.
I'm not looking for the all in one camera, but I do need a camera that will fit the needs as I have just described. On top of that, I'll prefer if its a camera I could use 5 years down the line without the need to upgrade much (granted, I know tech is changing very fast).

I agree with the others, go with a "flagship" camera from Canon but the mirrorless models are smaller and lighter - - and can still use the big DSLR lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I too agree with almost all of the others. Look at the different makers, the different bodies, the layouts of the controls, the various supporting systems. Check the DXOmark reviews of the cameras that interest you. Fan boys and facts can often be at odds with one another. Find a store where you can put your hands on them and give each of them an examination. The best choice will be the one you like and will suit your needs for that will be the one you will want to use.

Olympus EM1 II with the 12-100 is a great start...and it's fairly light.
Also consider a A7s II.
It really depends on what you want to photograph.

Per your last post ..
if 4K Video is now a requirement it's gonna wipe out a lot of the cameras mentioned already including the d610.

Maybe you should think about your requirement *now* rather than later ?

nikon cameras that can do 4k.
FX: D5
DX: D500, D7500

Many mirrorless cameras from SONY can do 4k.

Per your last post ..
if 4K Video is now a requirement it's gonna wipe out a lot of the cameras mentioned already including the d610.

Maybe you should think about your requirement *now* rather than later ?

nikon cameras that can do 4k.
FX: D5
DX: D500, D7500

Many mirrorless cameras from SONY can do 4k.
D850 ;)

Last edited:
I use Pentax K-50‘s while it has weatherproof design, however it is also perfect for beginners and comes with great specs.
It has brilliant 6fps continuous shooting, a 100% field of view viewfinder, and Pentax’s patented Shake Reduction system. It’s pre-set filters, such as high contrast, allow beginners to see what the possibilities are before attempting advanced shots manually.

I use Pentax K-50‘s while it has weatherproof design, however it is also perfect for beginners and comes with great specs.
It has brilliant 6fps continuous shooting, a 100% field of view viewfinder, and Pentax’s patented Shake Reduction system. It’s pre-set filters, such as high contrast, allow beginners to see what the possibilities are before attempting advanced shots manually.

Pentax is the worst idea if you want it long term. You'll have a camera from an all but defunct brand. No one will actually carry the lenses and you'll spend all your time scouring used inventory of camera stores.

If you want to do video, I recommend you get a camcorder. As to still photography, anything you buy can be long term as long as you stay away from forums like this one that try to convince you that you have to have the latest and greatest. It is hard to find a camera these days that can't produce better resolution than Panatomic X (a very fine grain black and white film used back in the day.)

I use mirrorless personally for exactly the same reasons you like it. I won't be going back to a DSLR. I believe the DSLR is an obsolescent technology.

If you want to

I use mirrorless personally for exactly the same reasons you like it. I won't be going back to a DSLR. I believe the DSLR is an obsolescent technology.

pretty much, but some still buy the old cameras that have mirrors
(like some old magicians still use mirrors)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

="beagle100, post: 3782671, member: 185544

LOL !
I suppose it's possible some people haven't heard of mirrorless cameras .

LOL!
I suppose it's possible that a majority of the people haven't swallowed the koolaid.

Most reactions

Back