Selecting a long term camera for beginner

pretty much, but some still buy the old cameras that have mirrors
(like some old magicians still use mirrors)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Yep there are just a few. There were 3,137,719 mirrorless sold last year and over 8,275,003 DSLR's sold last year. ;)

I wonder what the prior years' comparisons show. I didn't say DSLR's are dead. I said obsolescent.

Last year was the lowest sales figure for mirrorless in the last 4 years, not by much in relative terms, about 100000-200000 units depending on the year. You can see the history and facts at CIPA's website. DSLR's sales have fallen, but there is no correlation that shows that mirrorless is replacing them. Overall camera sales have dropped. The data indicates that the market is now shrinking overall. I would strongly suspect that much of this is due to multitude of people globally who have already entered into the market.

Aye the DSLR opened up the camera market as did the digital compact and mobile phone and the mirrorless etc... At some point the bubble was going to burst - ergo you'd reach a point where there aren't legions of new people who don't yet have a camera.
Every single market has to have slowdown at some point as there's only a limited number of people in the world who are viable customers. So yes once a market has boomed it should slow down. The key is that big companies have to recognise this and either prepare for it to adjust their focus. Thesedays many try to keep the bubble going with short term products that are designed to be replaced each year (eg mobile phones -esp those on contract). However DSLRs are a slightly longer term purchase and for many casual users once they've got a camera they don't have that same marketing drive to get a new one each year.

Tht sales are not increasing every year isn't a bad thing unless your an economist

pretty much, but some still buy the old cameras that have mirrors
(like some old magicians still use mirrors)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Yep there are just a few. There were 3,137,719 mirrorless sold last year and over 8,275,003 DSLR's sold last year. ;)

I wonder what the prior years' comparisons show. I didn't say DSLR's are dead. I said obsolescent.

Last year was the lowest sales figure for mirrorless in the last 4 years, not by much in relative terms, about 100000-200000 units depending on the year. You can see the history and facts at CIPA's website. DSLR's sales have fallen, but there is no correlation that shows that mirrorless is replacing them. Overall camera sales have dropped. The data indicates that the market is now shrinking overall. I would strongly suspect that much of this is due to multitude of people globally who have already entered into the market.

Thanks for the information. Perhaps the reason for poor camera sales relates to the improvements made in cell phone camera functions.

I'd say totally for Canon! 60D or 7D are good ones.

oh boy what has this thread turned into. Well, Ive used and tested my friend's nik0n d7000 in the meantime and I must say I like the feel on it. I can't speak for canon or Sony but I would imagine it's not much different. My question is weight aside, what are the major differences between mirrorless and dslr? will i miss out much from going with a mirrorless?

Gathering from everyone's input thus far, I take it that getting a full frame camera (granted I have the funds) and going for a high end camera would be the right direction? Also flash, equipments, lenses are equally as important? With that said, I guess I can put aside videography and focus on taking pictures as that is my main purpose. I guess I just wanted a camera with all my needs compacted into one and expecting a great camera to come out of it, which isn't rational.

I'm going on a trip to see the solar eclipse and with work slowing down, I want to utilize the time to practice and shoot well before I go on to take some great shots of the eclipse. I'm seeking for answers on the best camera for my needs and a good explanation why. I hope my next post will be actually posting pictures for professionals to critique. Thanks again!

Enjoy the eclipse and see it in person with the right protective gear. Don't try to photograph it.

Thanks. anyone?

this'

oh boy what has this thread turned into. Well, Ive used and tested my friend's nik0n d7000 in the meantime and I must say I like the feel on it. I can't speak for canon or Sony but I would imagine it's not much different. My question is weight aside, what are the major differences between mirrorless and dslr? will i miss out much from going with a mirrorless?

Gathering from everyone's input thus far, I take it that getting a full frame camera (granted I have the funds) and going for a high end camera would be the right direction? Also flash, equipments, lenses are equally as important? With that said, I guess I can put aside videography and focus on taking pictures as that is my main purpose. I guess I just wanted a camera with all my needs compacted into one and expecting a great camera to come out of it, which isn't rational.

I'm going on a trip to see the solar eclipse and with work slowing down, I want to utilize the time to practice and shoot well before I go on to take some great shots of the eclipse. I'm seeking for answers on the best camera for my needs and a good explanation why. I hope my next post will be actually posting pictures for professionals to critique. Thanks again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back