Selective colored bride

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Jaymz77, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Jaymz77

Jaymz77 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Well, first I must admit I rarly like the selective coloring but I shot a wedding this last weekend and wanted to share this one for some feed back. I am doing several for them, so c&c is greatly welcome!

[​IMG]

2. K_Pugh

K_Pugh No longer a newbie, moving up!

Actually, i think it's working here almost in a subtle manner. I've never really agreed with selective colouring but it appears to work here i think.. don't know if it's the balance between that and the sepia tone or that the expression demands more attention than the flowers?

Anyway i like this one.

(Oh, and i think the flowers need the colour here. Not too sure about the ring though?)

3. Jaymz77

Jaymz77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks man! I appreciate it. I agree with the ring but I think she will eat it up.. we'll see, they get back from the honey moon in a week :)

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not a big fan of selective coloring either...but I like it when it's used to draw attention to where you want the viewer's eye to go.

In this shot, you would probably want the viewers eyes to go to the subject's face/eyes...that is usually what you want in a portrait.

So in this shot, the selective color is drawing the viewer away from the face...to the flowers. IMO, this hurts the image.

For the same reasons, I think that her face is too dark and that she could use some catch lights in her eyes. When I look at this image, I'm drawn to the flowers and to the bright parts of her dress. That is maybe not a bad thing, but a really strong image would have more emphasis on her face.

5. Jaymz77

Jaymz77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Big Mike! Just the stuff I need to hear! I appreciate it!

6. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'm a BIG fan of selective colouring, but this doesn't work for me,sorry. I think it might work if it was black & white rather than sepia, but as-is? Nope, sorry I think a coloured bride & boquet and B&W/sepia background would be fine.

7. Jaymz77

Jaymz77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for your input, I will have to agree with you. Since, I don't like selective coloring at all, I wasn't sure if this would work. Again, thanks for your input!