Selective Coloring c and c

JenLavazza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jenlavazza.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I don't normally do selective coloring, but I think most people outside TPF (especially moms and dads) think it's pretty neat. So I want to do what sells... This is from a 9 month old session I had yesterday. Does it work here?? Did I desaturate it enough you think?

4415486142_5e2fb763dd.jpg

I know it sells....but.... selective coloring always draws attention away from the actual subject, when the actual subject isn't selectively colored.

So instead of being drawn to the great pose and expression of the child, I just think..."nice hat".

It's fun selling things to an ignorant market.
Ask me about how awesome invisible set diamonds are. :sexywink:

She looks like a porcelein doll-I am scared of porcelin dolls...

So, mommy22, this photo scares you?? I think the way she's holding her sweet little hands up by her face and biting in some of her lower lip shows lots of "life" in her....not doll like at all, but that's my opinion.

I agree Bitter, I think it draws away from her, but again....gotta please the masses!

The selective coloring is not bad. :thumbup: No doubt the pose is cute and babies are suppossed to have smooth as silk skin.

But the eyes look unnatural, nuclear even.

Well, I did the selective coloring on the eyes too...they just aren't colorful enough to really tell....is that why they look "nuclear" you think?

I agree Bitter, I think it draws away from her, but again....gotta please the masses!

So, how do you feel about throwing your integrity away? :lmao:
Not a jab at you. I have to do it a lot in my line of work too. :grumpy:

How do they look fake?? What am I doing wrong?!?!? lol I'm going to take that as a compliment seeing that "fake" things are usually made perfect :greenpbl:

I know Bitter. The other option is to do what WE like and not make any money.... And I DO like this photo. I just know technically it's wrong.

How do they look fake?? What am I doing wrong?!?!? lol I'm going to take that as a compliment seeing that "fake" things are usually made perfect :greenpbl:

"The uncanny valley is a hypothesis regarding the field of robotics.[1] The theory holds that when robots and other facsimiles of humans look and act almost like actual humans, it causes a response of revulsion among human observers. The "valley" in question is a dip in a proposed graph of the positivity of human reaction as a function of a robot's lifelikeness."

I know Bitter. The other option is to do what WE like and not make any money.... And I DO like this photo. I just know technically it's wrong.
Yeah. I like money.

I think selective desaturation is a bit of an overdone PP card trick, but back in the day there was some fine hand-tinting done. Maybe look at some old photos to get a handle on the aesthetic? After reading this thread, I tried my hand at it with semi-lame results, but I'm sure I could dial it in. Afterwards, I found this tutorial that went about it in a slightly different fashion.

Most reactions

Back