selective coloring

I like the shot and good use of the techneque but whats up with the four white dots?

Thats bokeh fool!!!! I think the picture looks great man. 1.8 makes it look great I think the bokeh looks good in this picture!!!
lol ... i was going for the "bokeh" effect but i guess to others its distracting.

I find the lights in the back are distracting as well...might be because the flower's colours aren't very punchy and the exposure seems a bit low overall.

There are also 4 of them, which draw more attention that the 1 flower. Maybe cropping out the ones on the right?

As for selective colouring, its unfortunatly something that is WAY overdone in photography. Its a fun technique, but people aren't very selective when they do the colouring.

"Oh, I'm going to take a picture of my kid and selective colour his pants!"

It should only be done if it enhances the overall image, not because its a fun thing to do. I find it does work with your image, but again, the exposure and colour sat are off to me.

Seems that HDR has replaced selective colouring as the overdone thing today.

As for selective colouring, its unfortunatly something that is WAY overdone in photography. Its a fun technique, but people aren't very selective when they do the colouring.

It should only be done if it enhances the overall image, not because its a fun thing to do. I find it does work with your image, but again, the exposure and colour sat are off to me.

Quoted For Truth

I've selective colored exactly one shot, and it was for a photography class I took, and before I realized how overdone the technique is. There are a select few selective colored shots that I like, but the vast majority of them are done on the wrong shot, the wrong part of the shot, or both.

For the OPs shot, I think the coloring works, but I agree with the other comments that the bokeh is a bit distracting.

As for HDR, for me, it's in the same boat as selective coloring. I've done a few HDR shots, and I was mildly happy with the results. The problem is, I see so many people doing it now that it's lost it's novelty on me. I'm not saying there aren't any fantastic HDR shots out there, but the vast majority of them are over-halo'd, over-saturated, fake looking shots to me. A good HDR isn't something you put into Photomatix, click create HDR, and hope for the best. They require a lot of work to get right.

I find the lights in the back are distracting as well...might be because the flower's colours aren't very punchy and the exposure seems a bit low overall.

There are also 4 of them, which draw more attention that the 1 flower. Maybe cropping out the ones on the right?

its one of those things i never know how to do ... after watching the video tutorial i wanted to give it a shot. so i worked on a picture and threw it out for C&C.

thats all ... i won't over kill with this.
next thing on my list is learning to work with layers :)

yeah i think the lights are too bright.
not a fan of selective coloring, but you did it well.

Well, someone asked for a "more advanced" selective coloring technique...so Ill just include that in my post.

What i do is:
Duplicate layer, make it black and white, copy it, then paste that as a new layer on the color image, add a layer mask, choose white(full opactiy) then draw on the photo with a black, fuzzy brush and anything I draw magicly becomes color! XD
If I mess up, I color over the messed up area with white, it makes it back to black and white.

Thats how I do it in GIMP, im sure you can easily convert that to photoshop...

I prefer the bottom one, so Ill critique that

Well now, about the image...as a selective coloring, you did a very good job! But as a photo itself....hmm

Whats up with the white circles? I would try to clone/crop those out.

In my opinion, the photo just doesnt seem balanced, maybe if you took the picture a step to the left, so the other flowers would fill the right of the frame, it might balance it better...

Its great to have fun with photoshop. The technique to do selective colouring can be applied to other things, so getting a handle on the software is great.

Its not a bad thing to do. As someone new to photography, I like to try things, which includes HRD and Selective Colouring. Just because it has been done before doesn't mean you can't do it. It just means that you won't often get a huge positive response for it.

But by all means, do what you feel you need to progress in your skill.

Keep up the good work too! ;)

Its great to have fun with photoshop. The technique to do selective colouring can be applied to other things, so getting a handle on the software is great.

Its not a bad thing to do. As someone new to photography, I like to try things, which includes HRD and Selective Colouring. Just because it has been done before doesn't mean you can't do it. It just means that you won't often get a huge positive response for it.

But by all means, do what you feel you need to progress in your skill.

Keep up the good work too! ;)
yah ... like i said since this was something new for me. i just wanted people's opinion. now that i know how to do it ... obviously having the skill under my belt means i'll move on to something else.
people who've done it before don't think much of it and thats okay because i'm sure at one point it was a big deal to them as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back