Selective coloring

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by randrx2, Jan 24, 2007.

1. randrx2

randrx2 TPF Noob!

I learned this the other day in Photoshop and thought I would post the results.

What do you think? Too tacky?

[​IMG]

2. ShootHoops

ShootHoops TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I like it. I've always liked selective coloring. But on the other hand, most people seem to hate it in most cases.

3. EBphotography

EBphotography TPF Junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    I also like it in this case. You did a nice job with it at least.

4. outdoorlover

outdoorlover TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm a flag flying american!!!
    I Love It!

5. John_05

John_05 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i like this shot too.

the only thing i think would make it better (IMO of course), is if the stripes on the light house were a little bit darker, and if the 3 spots (under the flag) in the shot were cloned out.

6. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think it is an overused technique. It fits with your image just fine, though. Yours is one of those in which it doesn't look overused. Tell me how to do it. I assume I have to get good at doing selections is PS. The magic wand won't cut it will it?

7. SpaceNut

SpaceNut TPF Noob!

I like the way you have "Old Glory" flying in color! Thanks!!

8. randrx2

randrx2 TPF Noob!

I got the idea here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68406

Then I searched a bit then found a way to do it: http://www.phototakers.com/articles/articles/33.html

but I think they are describing an older PS. I basically, made a new layer, made it B&W, then masked all but the flag. Then I erased the B&W flag, and the color one came out from below. I also tried just erasing without masking, which also works.

BTW, thank you everyone for your comments.

9. John_05

John_05 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the easiest way ive found to do selective coloring is to get the color shot and the B&W shot processed to your liking, and then layer the B&W over the color, and just erase the parts you want to be selectively colored in the B&W copy. you can try using the lasso as a guide, but i usually dont. when i used to try that, i always had to deselect to do a little fine tuning, so now i dont bother with making a selection.

10. Mole

Mole TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If that lighthouse is red and white you might try putting the color back to compliment the flag. Just my opinion.

11. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Thanks for the tip. I went out to the driveway and photographed my own flagpole and selectively colored it as shown in the article. Thanks.

[​IMG]

12. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    From a non american perspective i find these images very cliche and boring. That's not to be insulting or say they're poor shots. It's just that here in the UK it seems that when any programme or person wants to show capitilism/freedom of speech/fight against terrorism, we pretty much always get a stars and stripes.

I've been to the US 3 times and with my brother now living there i'll definitely be back so I've nothing against the USA whatsoever. I like it.

But as a photo it's a bit too common to really catch my eye. Perhaps most of you guys are caught up in the emotion of your own country which is completely understandable but from non US person it doesn't do much for me.

As a photo I'd prefer the flag to be flying the other way into the image instead of at the right and flying off to the right - it's as if it's about to leave the picture.

hope you guys can understand what i mean without taking it the wrong way!
    :D