Selective coloring

randrx2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I learned this the other day in Photoshop and thought I would post the results.

What do you think? Too tacky?

2006-0820-CapeHatterasLight-Selecti.jpg

I also like it in this case. You did a nice job with it at least.

I'm a flag flying american!!!
I Love It!

i like this shot too.

the only thing i think would make it better (IMO of course), is if the stripes on the light house were a little bit darker, and if the 3 spots (under the flag) in the shot were cloned out.

I think it is an overused technique. It fits with your image just fine, though. Yours is one of those in which it doesn't look overused. Tell me how to do it. I assume I have to get good at doing selections is PS. The magic wand won't cut it will it?

I think it is an overused technique. It fits with your image just fine, though. Yours is one of those in which it doesn't look overused. Tell me how to do it. I assume I have to get good at doing selections is PS. The magic wand won't cut it will it?

I got the idea here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68406

Then I searched a bit then found a way to do it: http://www.phototakers.com/articles/articles/33.html

but I think they are describing an older PS. I basically, made a new layer, made it B&W, then masked all but the flag. Then I erased the B&W flag, and the color one came out from below. I also tried just erasing without masking, which also works.

BTW, thank you everyone for your comments.

the easiest way ive found to do selective coloring is to get the color shot and the B&W shot processed to your liking, and then layer the B&W over the color, and just erase the parts you want to be selectively colored in the B&W copy. you can try using the lasso as a guide, but i usually dont. when i used to try that, i always had to deselect to do a little fine tuning, so now i dont bother with making a selection.

If that lighthouse is red and white you might try putting the color back to compliment the flag. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the tip. I went out to the driveway and photographed my own flagpole and selectively colored it as shown in the article. Thanks.

flagpole.jpg

From a non american perspective i find these images very cliche and boring. That's not to be insulting or say they're poor shots. It's just that here in the UK it seems that when any programme or person wants to show capitilism/freedom of speech/fight against terrorism, we pretty much always get a stars and stripes.

I've been to the US 3 times and with my brother now living there i'll definitely be back so I've nothing against the USA whatsoever. I like it.

But as a photo it's a bit too common to really catch my eye. Perhaps most of you guys are caught up in the emotion of your own country which is completely understandable but from non US person it doesn't do much for me.

As a photo I'd prefer the flag to be flying the other way into the image instead of at the right and flying off to the right - it's as if it's about to leave the picture.

hope you guys can understand what i mean without taking it the wrong way!
:D

I take it exactly the right way. I run into anti American Europeans all the time on the internet.

All I was doing was thanking the OP for the link that explained how to do the technique. I guess I should have said thanks without posting the test image I completed to learn the technique. Sorry to have bored you.

I take it exactly the right way. I run into anti American Europeans all the time on the internet.

All I was doing was thanking the OP for the link that explained how to do the technique. I guess I should have said thanks without posting the test image I completed to learn the technique. Sorry to have bored you.

Fred
I wasn't bored - never bored on this forum!!:mrgreen: Since the initial poster posted the image, my crit was actually aimed at the first image and not your own.
I was giving a critique but felt i had to justify what may have come across as negative comments. I didn't want anyone thinking i was saying i didn't like it because it's american.
I quite like selective colouring and currently have one on the front page of my website. But stars and stripes to a non-american doesn't invoke any emotion so it's easy to be objective.

Hope that doesn't come across as meaning every other crit is non-objective!!!

I feel the hole I've started digging is now getting too big so i'd probably be best to say no more!!
:mrgreen:

darich,

I was able to read the critism between the politics. Thanks for the tip and comment. I never thought of the flag "running out of the shot". When I look back at the photo, I see what you mean. I actually had to flip the photo to get the flag to look like this.

I know its hard to give negative feedback, as sometimes you don't want to insult anyone. I think there are too many "nice shots" and "I like it" comments. It's refreshing to see someone honest about the photo. Thanks.

This was converted to B&W, cropped and flipped from this original photo:
DSC_0145-small.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back