Selective Colouring or Black+White with Colour

eromallagadnama said:
Wow!!! I love this one especially out of the ones that you've posted :thumbup:
Thank you! I was at the San Diego Zoo and this woman was painting these really neat things with words made out of animals........so awesome. I had to take a picture of her doing it.

Now I really want to give this theme some new life:

Rose_selcol.jpg

Frhlingsversprechen_WeinMai05_selco.jpg

Herbstwald_selcol.jpg

This was my first attempt:

20050912183931_img_1295.jpg

And this one is one of the few pictures that I've ever taken where I saw the finished product in my head before I even saw the pic in the viewfinder:

20051006070134_img_2509.jpg

Couple of mine

5xysw92.jpg

6ciml2t.jpg

5z54ves.jpg

638cq41.jpg

4qdqp8z.jpg

4yagy7a.jpg

It is an OK concept to play with, but it has become overused in general creative photography and as such it has become a less effective technique and more of a cliché. Being very artificial and unnatural, the question design-wise becomes: Why did you colour this element and not a different one, why the particular colour, and do the other pictorial elements fit together with the one that is colourized. Of course the ultimate question: Would the image not be more effective if it were completely and more naturally ALL in colour?

skieur

heres a couple shots i took a long time ago with my moms point and shoot and edited a while ago cause i was bored and curious how to do selective coloring.
sergiobw.jpg

andrewconejpg.jpg

for those who keep asking how to do it, there are many ways.

i personally went to gimp.com and downloaded that, its almost like a free version of ps and thats what i use to do the selective coloring and this is a great site to use

http://www.gimp-tutorials.com/tutorial/Selective-Colorization-using-The-GIMP-168.html

for a tutorial on how to do it once you dl the program.
i dont know if there is a online way to do it without a program but this was the easiest cost effective way i found.

Most reactions

Back