Self Doubt

Are you kidding me, @Kingston75 ?! I just peeked at your Instagram, and you do great work!

Your work is 10 times better than the crap that some photographers around me charge for... keep doing you! :icon_thumbsup:

Security Error? ... hmm, best to discuss this with the admins
Means the file is too big. It started popping up a while back that way if you were trying to upload a file that was bigger than 2mg. I suspect that the forum sees big files as potential malware hosts.

Lots of old guys and gals here - I don't have a clue how to do "Instagram" or "black and white"
How about a photo here or a website????
Old??? OLD!!! Just who in the #e!! you think you are calling old. You just hold on a minute until I get up with my walker and find my cane and I'll show you who's old.
walking-stick.gif

Instagram is like instant oat meal, just add some water and stir, and if you don't know what black and white is you never shot film Jr.
4322.gif

I tend to put more emphasis if I like my work vs others liking my work ... but it is nice when another eye gives you a thumbs up.
I always doubt my work (I mean that seriously), keeps me wanting to do better the next shot.

I'm pretty proud of my own work. I've only been doing this for about 3 years. I have been pretty bummed on the lack of interaction on Facebook groups of my peers. There is some stuff that is blatantly terrible and gets more kudos than my work. I think I need to stop putting any stock into those groups.
be too proud of your own work is a mistake.
I peered through your portolio.
really need to work on having more variety of shoots.
don't put stuff that you shot in school, it's obvious it was done during a lesson or workshop.
work on the white balance.
most importantly, catch the details - facial expressions especially.
Also when the frame of someone's eyewear intersects with the eye.
Good Luck! 3 years isn't even really scratching the surface yet.

I have been pretty bummed on the lack of interaction on Facebook groups of my peers. There is some stuff that is blatantly terrible and gets more kudos than my work. I think I need to stop putting any stock into those groups.

I think you need a forum/group that is going to tell you their truthful opinions.

If you tell us to, we will give you honest #$^%!*
Post up a shot and ask.

Ok I'll put myself out there. I have a site but I'll link my instagram. @ron.berard.photography and my black and white account is @ron.berard_bnw. Feel free to cc. I'm very open to learn
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The OP said his "black and white account" not B&W photos. Reads like it's a separate place in "Instagram"???

No, the file size was only 47.5 KB. That's not too big. And that error message usually said that the file was too big, not that there was a security error.

My guess is that it has something to do with permissions or privacy settings of the file. @Kingston75 - were you trying to upload directly from your computer, or link from Instagram?

Edit: Nevermind, it was the screenshot that was 47.6 KB. I've always gotten a "file too big" error message, but perhaps that has changed. Or it's something else. Aliens?

Last edited:
i get that same error when i try to attach over the file limit here.

I have been pretty bummed on the lack of interaction on Facebook groups of my peers. There is some stuff that is blatantly terrible and gets more kudos than my work. I think I need to stop putting any stock into those groups.

I think you need a forum/group that is going to tell you their truthful opinions.

Post up a shot and ask.

Ok I'll put myself out there. I have a site but I'll link my instagram. @ron.berard.photography and my black and white account is @ron.berard_bnw. Feel free to cc. I'm very open to learn

The OP said his "black and white account" not B&W photos. Reads like it's a separate place in "Instagram"???

Instagram is a photo-hosting site, like Flickr or Photobucket. These are his account names for Instagram, which is how you search for people's photos there. His 'bnw' account contains only black and white photos.

Regardless, the point is moot because the general procedure for C&C is still to post a separate thread in a photo gallery and embed/upload a photo in the thread, not to send members off-site to look at any number of pictures. This avoids the issue of having to learn to navigate the outside site, but also helps provide more specific and directed C&C.

Post up a shot and ask.

Instagram is a photo-hosting site, like Flickr or Photobucket. These are his account names for Instagram, which is how you search for people's photos there. His 'bnw' account contains only black and white photos.

Regardless, the point is moot because the general procedure for C&C is still to post a separate thread in a photo gallery and embed/upload a photo in the thread, not to send members off-site to look at any number of pictures. This avoids the issue of having to learn to navigate the outside site, but also helps provide more specific and directed C&C.
I don't mean to divert too much, but some time ago, there was a member (*cough* me *cough*) that requested the site be able to include Instagram posts (embedded). This is one of those instances where it would be helpful. IIRC, the request was made after a similar situation where a user complained of not being able to link to Instagram.

See general idea on first site I found on Google, it's from Wordpress.
Instagram Embeds

The OP/user could post their picture from Instagram, ask for C&C, and not direct people off-site. It would work just like Flickr photos, only Instagram. (And there'd be a border around the picture, ugh.)

Eh?

ETA: Found the old request: Way to easily post Instagram/social media photos

Last edited:
I'm pretty proud of my own work. I've only been doing this for about 3 years. I have been pretty bummed on the lack of interaction on Facebook groups of my peers. There is some stuff that is blatantly terrible and gets more kudos than my work. I think I need to stop putting any stock into those groups.

Facebook and Instagram and the others is a double edge sword. Yes, it connects you, but also remember they are social sites! People from all over, all walks. Many different likes and dislikes. Someone may get praise from so so work, just because they have a large following or into the same things as the poster. There are cliques on FB and the rest of them (many stuck in High School). Don't count on social media to be a main source of photo critiques! A forum such as this with true photo peers is a much better place for that.

I go through self doubt every day and I've been doing this for almost ten years now. Just keep shooting anyways if you love photography.

Last edited:
All you can do in this world and life are try as hard as you can at the things you love. Everyone has those moments of self doubt. It would be unhealthy to never have a single moment of doubt. These are the moments we have to remind ourselves why it is we are doing what we are doing...

The way I look at it, when you don't have an answer to that why it is time to follow a new direction. But if there is still an answer, then keep moving forward.

I wish you luck!

I shot news for major market newspapers. I think 'self-doubt' would have eaten me alive. News was/is terribly competitive ... I think any amount of doubt, any real daily distraction from doing your job would have disastrous. But, after every working day, I would review my images and kick myself in the butt because I knew I could do better. Being critical of one's work, challenging oneself to improve and do better, is different from wondering if one has the skills to get the job done.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back