Self portrait C&C?

I'd like it better if your whole face were in focus. My eyes are drawn to the fuzzy nose

this isnt as funny as the first picture taken with a flash thread. Sorry.

I guess I am not familiar with that thread...?

But anyways, I see that my first photo is not being well received. :-(

Here is the second shutter actuation from my attempt at self portraits. Any better? (image deleted and not reposted with quoted passage)

The thread you're not familiar with was , "My First Photo With a Flash," posted on January 24,2010, by bitter jeweler. It is located here http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...hoto-gallery/191599-my-first-photo-flash.html

It too was an attempt at humor,but it succeeded.

this isnt as funny as the first picture taken with a flash thread. Sorry.

I guess I am not familiar with that thread...?

But anyways, I see that my first photo is not being well received. :-(

Here is the second shutter actuation from my attempt at self portraits. Any better? (image deleted and not reposted with quoted passage)

The thread you're not familiar with was , "My First Photo With a Flash," posted on January 24,2010, by bitter jeweler. It is located here http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...hoto-gallery/191599-my-first-photo-flash.html

It too was an attempt at humor,but it succeeded.

Ah, I sparingly trolled the forum the past week, and never really noticed it. Tis quite funny though.

ANYWAY. Can someone find me anywhere that it's documented in the sacred tomes of photography that it's unacceptable to not have the entire head of a subject in frame? It seems like time and time again, this gets brought up, and I fail to see why this is a requirement for a captivating portrait.

Not getting defensive, simply just sayin'.
Ask yourself this first. What is the point of your image, what are you trying to show the viewer. In my opinion, you can cut off all you want but it will impact the image. Question is will it be good or bad. In this case, it wasn't good.

Well, lets see.... It's a self portrait, for starters. I think that was covered earlier, even through the tongue in cheek humor, no? I took multiple shots, ones that were from a wider angle that included my hair also. I found that the inclusion of the hair was distracting, so I re-shot. I also had to shoot at f/1.4, up close. So my DOF was roughly 1/10th of a foot.

I think what Craig G was saying is that even though it is a self portrait, usually there's a reason why photographers capture a self portrait... to capture a feeling behind the artist. I mean, I can just go "cheese" in a mirror and call it a self portrait but no... its just a random snapshot I took. So.... what were you trying to express in your pictures? If you were serious about the 1st shot (the blurry one)... what message were you trying to convey about yourself? The viewer didn't get that message, all we saw was a blurry subject. The 2nd one...at least I can see something... but again, looks like you just held the camera in front of you and took a shot. Try using a tripod to get better clarity (in the 2nd picture..the eyes are sharp but everything gets a little soft after that), and get creative... because thats what you are right? so in a self portrait, you want to show your creativity and show yourself as an artist. Otherwise, just say cheese and post a snapshot of yourself. Try again, lets see what you come up with! :thumbup:

Any comments would be helpful. I am new to the world of digital photography and have never used a camera before.

15861_215299196911_500091911_3032752_572673_n.jpg

Thank you!

You brought this back from the dead, for what reason?

i was curious and searching for self portraits on the forum and came across it.

Maybe this is his issue:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/Assets/necromancer.jpg

Necromancer

"Necromancer has a supernatural ability to bring long-dead forum discussion threads back to life. After having been flogged to death the thread may have been deceased for many years, and bringing it back may have scant relevance to the current topic, yet Necromancer will unexpectedly exhume the thread’s rotting corpse, and strike horror in the forum as its grotesque form lurches into the discussion. The monster, instantly recognized by all who knew it in life, seems at first to breathe and have a pulse, but, alas, it is beyond Necromancer’s skill to fully restore the thread’s original vitality. The hideous apparition may frighten away some of the weaker Warriors or Warriors badly wounded in former battles, but the thread is only a shadow of its former self and very quickly expires." end quoted passage--there is more!

Maybe this is his issue:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/Assets/necromancer.jpg

Necromancer

"Necromancer has a supernatural ability to bring long-dead forum discussion threads back to life. After having been flogged to death the thread may have been deceased for many years, and bringing it back may have scant relevance to the current topic, yet Necromancer will unexpectedly exhume the thread’s rotting corpse, and strike horror in the forum as its grotesque form lurches into the discussion. The monster, instantly recognized by all who knew it in life, seems at first to breathe and have a pulse, but, alas, it is beyond Necromancer’s skill to fully restore the thread’s original vitality. The hideous apparition may frighten away some of the weaker Warriors or Warriors badly wounded in former battles, but the thread is only a shadow of its former self and very quickly expires." end quoted passage--there is more!

LOL

Currently laughing out loud at a really old thread.

Well since it's here and the people that were on the hook were asking what the purpose was, or the feeling. I think the feeling was to make his self portrait as blurry as his soul.

/emo
/wrist.

This was joke also. A bad one, but a joke none the less.

Looks like you focused on the wall

Most reactions

Back