Self portrait for C&C

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Still playing with my new flash... Not 100% sure about the B&W conversion, but I think I like this best.

Not really sure about the whole 'half face' thing either, but it seems like everybody does it, and I never have - so here you go.

4342718370_5c9b638eec_b.jpg

all sizes

Edit
My wife says it looks scary... Should I be worried that she thinks most of my self portraits are scary looking? :lol:

Last edited:
Excellent sharpness in all the right places, and I really like they high contrast. A definite keeper.

Alberto

Thanks, Alberto.

ps
I notice now that my eye looks a little weird on the right side - that's the edge of my contact lens. ...Maybe I'll try to re-shoot it without my contacts in.
I might be able to make it look right in PP too...

Got stubble?

I don't mind the texture of the skin at all, but there are a few things I noticed.

The shine on the earring and the spot on the nose. (really surprised you let that one slip past).

There should be some delineation of the lips IMO. The upper and lower meld into one.

Are you doing the unibrow thing? :lol:

A bit sinister looking (I think that was your goal) and I think the off camera light should be positioned higher to get the catchlight moved higher (and possibly a softbox to increase the size), but all-in-all, nice pic dude. I still prefer the #1 with a goatee. :biggrin:

Got stubble?

Too lazy to shave...I usually only shave once a week, lol.

I like it... **** is tack sharp

Thanks. Shot with the Canon 100mm Macro @ f/11. I was shooting tethered, so I had the monitor for preview. Took close to 50 shots (not all of them the same composition), lol, this was the best. Tried to line my eye up with the active focus point (tried a lot with manual focus, shifting my position - AF worked better).

Also... your pupils are dilated. Where you in low light or extremely turned on?

The shine on the earring and the spot on the nose. (really surprised you let that one slip past).
The ear ring I let slide. I did burn that spot on my nose a little - maybe it needs a little more.

There should be some delineation of the lips IMO. The upper and lower meld into one.
What can I say... I tend to abuse the blacks slider, lol. I think I can bring a little more definition to my lips though.

Are you doing the unibrow thing? :lol:
Plucking my eyebrows just seems too weird to me, lol. It's not too bad though, there is a little hair there though, lol.
A bit sinister looking (I think that was your goal) and I think the off camera light should be positioned higher to get the catchlight moved higher (and possibly a softbox to increase the size), but all-in-all, nice pic dude. I still prefer the #1 with a goatee. :biggrin:
Thanks!

I was going for slightly sinister (but not full blown evil, lol). I tried a bunch of different flash positions - high, low, everything. I liked the shadows best with it here - I honestly didn't even pay attention to where the catchlight was. Maybe I could just move it in PP..... Not sure. I might try it though.

The goatee one will always be the one to top, lol.

(This is the 'goatee one' if you haven't seen it.)

Low light. I don't really think alcohol affects pupil dilation (does it?) but I've had a few too, lol.

Low light. I don't really think alcohol affects pupil dilation (does it?) but I've had a few too, lol.

Yes it does. Alcohol triggers the same part of the brain that sex and drugs affect. Although, I have another theory,...I'm going to say that you were aroused at your own tetherdness.

sorry, just thread jacking

OK, I tweaked it a little...
4344692137_89dd5076d0_b.jpg

Added a little fill light and took care of a few spots. I don't really like what it (the fill light) did to my eye - I might burn it back in a little tomorrow night...

Not sure yet. To me, it doesn't look right. I thought I'd see what other people think first though.

Oh yeah - I did try to lighten up my lips a little more (more than what you see here - which isn't much), I didn't like it. Just didn't look right.

---EDIT---

OK, last one. I think this is better.

4345463966_4a3cfcb943_b.jpg

Damnit... The difference isn't as much as I thought it'd be, lol. I burned my eye 1 stop, but it barely looks like I did anything. It really looked a lot different to me before I uploaded... (I wasn't looking at both of them side by side though...)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back