Self portrait :) - look it's got purple in it..

Paparoksguitar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
fancysmall.jpg

please cnc, i really would like some crits so i know what i'm doing wrong.
um Strobist?:
1 b800 45 degress left of camera bare bulb.
Sorry its so grainy, I'm an idiot and forgot to reset the ISO to 100 before shooting..it was on 800. :(

That purple was hard to find! (as long as it on the background that is, cause that's the most purple I see..)
I think if you would have increased the backlight a bit it could cause a little better separation between you and the background, but you've got it really close as it is. I think the shadows on the hands and chest, cause by the bare bulb, are harsh. An umbrella or softbox would have worked wonders here, IMO.
Cool portrait though, I like the blues brothers feel. haha.

heh thanks! Yeah i'm getting an octabox plus another b800 next week, so i was testing out the rim lighting mostly.

I agree! i definetly should have moved it farther back away from the front of my face, it would have looked much better. Good thinking i'll do that next time. Thanks :)

It's definitely a weird and unflattering angle to be shooting from. Usually it's better to have the camera higher than the subject, or at least even with them. There are times when it's useful to shoot from below...but I don't think that this is one of them.

I don't mind the sharp angle at which the light is coming from...but you may want to try short lighting, rather than broad. (light the side of the face that is away from the camera, rather than the side that is toward the camera).

As mentioned, some additional light on the back/top of the head/hair, or on the background, can create some separation so that there isn't such a blending into the background.

LOL, I do the ISO-non-reset all the time.

The angle is tough. It's just always more flattering to have a chin line defined by a shadow. Also, I like hands and the tactile aspect of buttoning a shirt, it would have been nice to hit them with more light.

heh, @ iron- i ahve such a hard time with the ISO.

@ bigmike and Iron - thanks so much! i love thorough criticism! that makes total sense, the angle is weird i'm not exactly sure what i was doing.
Heh the short lighting would have been a good idea, especailly broader people like myself XD, i wish i had thought of that..

Thanks a lot guys i completely agree and next time i think i'll remember not to make those mistakes.

Most reactions

Back