Self portrait of me and portrait of my dad

I can already see you've learned yet another lighting wrinkle, on to position and to gel the background light to create a very solid background lighting pattern!

It's pretty cool to watch the two of you learning how to use the new studio lighting kit!

Good job Logan and you've managed one thing that plagues some people; glasses reflections. There are none; you nailed it!

I can already see you've learned yet another lighting wrinkle, on to position and to gel the background light to create a very solid background lighting pattern!

It's pretty cool to watch the two of you learning how to use the new studio lighting kit!
Thank you! but once again all the credit on lighting goes to my dad he set it up i am going to see if i can try to set it up tommorow my self and see how that works

Good job Logan and you've managed one thing that plagues some people; glasses reflections. There are none; you nailed it!
Thank you!

Think about the backdrop light (the barn-door equipped light) being set up at about the mid-back height of the portrait subject, and aimed back at the black fabric, either with, or without a gel. If you aim the light straight back, level, the gel color will be even-ish. If the background light is aimed down,or up a few degrees,there will be a gradual density/color shift.

The BEST way to set this up is FIRST...with ALL the other lights OFF, and the subject posed where he is going to be in the final shots, but un-lit by anything else; that allows you to see exactly how the background light will illuminate the background, and it gives you a gut feeling of how that light works. That is kind of what that one, barndoor-equipped flash will be most often used for: to create a light pattern on the backdrop.

Last edited:
Think about the backdrop light (the barn-door equipped light) being set up at about the mid-back height of the portrait subject, and aimed back at the black fabric, either with, or without a gel. If you aim the light straight back, level, the gel color will be even-ish. If the background light is aimed down,or up a few degrees,there will be a gradual density/color shift.

The BEST way to set this up is FIRST...with ALL the other lights OFF, and the subject posed where he is going to be in the final shots, but un-lit by anything else; that allows you to see exactly how the background light will illuminate the background, and it gives you a gut feeling of how that light works. That is kind of what that one, barndoor-equipped flash will be most often used for: to create a light pattern on the backdrop.
Thanks for the tips later tonight i will have a portrait of my dad up that i set up all the lights for

Most reactions

Back