Self Portrait

Stranger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am not sure if this should go here or not but i am looking for that hardcore critique and help..

I just bought an umbrella for my strobe yesterday and decided to leap into my new found addiction and begin playing with light. I plan on buying "Skin" tomorrow if they still accept my coupon a day late LOL (why would the coupon expire on a holiday in which they are closed -_- )

This is setup inside my living room with me facing a huge front window. The flash is camera right (in front of me and to my left) shot through an umbrella at 1/4 power. I will eventually buy a reflector so i could have put it on the other side of my face for a little bit of fill but for now i work with what i have :)..

Only processing is sharpen and contrast which i turn down in the camera.

Please rip my lighting apart. I really need to learn this stuff :). I would also love suggestions on possible setups with a single strobe

Please click here for full : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamar787/2356717460/sizes/o/

2356717460_6f74a46f7d.jpg

I will have more to post tomorrow because i am going home from school to grab a few things i forgot.

Thanks

Personally, I think you have done a pretty good job here.

However, (theres' always a however) I feel that the background is competing with the subject. I like the background, but think the strong abstractness takes away from you (the subject).

Although not significant, you do have a couple of hot spots on the forehead, left cheek, nose and lips.

I would also consider to move the subject off center a bit more.

You have done well by having an angle on your shoulders, but perhaps consider a bit of a turn rather than straight on to the camera.

Hope some of this makes sense. Thanks for sharing.

You seem to have a few Hot Spots and your colour temp seems a bit off.
Here is it with a slight adjustment

10904-2356717460_47728729f7_o.jpg

agreed on the background. Do you have other pics with a different one?

pascal

Thanks for the comments, I do not have one with another background, but i will today.

I agree about the composition, however (your right, there is always a however :) ) This was a photoshoot of my girlfriend (who did not think she looked good enough in them for me to post -_- ) and she actually pulled the trigger on this one. I tried teaching her about the composition but it did not work all that well lol.

With the hotspots, i notice i have those in all the photos i took of myself. Is it about having less power on the flash or moving it back? Or is it something with my SS because i know they can all effect lighting.

Thanks again, will have more to post later today

@speedtrap, i like the warmth and agree that it was off (i didn't want to change anything that effects the lighting look).. LOL you made an uncomfortable twinkle in my eye.

Thanks Elsaspet,

Anybody have any ideas on what to use as a background when your limited to your house? This is the best lit room but we have paintings all over the place. If not paintings, then its furniture and what not.

Thanks Elsaspet,

Anybody have any ideas on what to use as a background when your limited to your house? This is the best lit room but we have paintings all over the place. If not paintings, then its furniture and what not.

Can you distance yourself from the wall and/or use a huge aperture? That would help a lot.

Nice job by the way.

With the hotspots, i notice i have those in all the photos i took of myself. Is it about having less power on the flash or moving it back? Or is it something with my SS because i know they can all effect lighting.

actually, try this. move it closer in 6 inch increments and adjust your power (lower as you get closer) and see what happens.

i've never used umbrellas myself (i'm a softbox person), but this may help with hot spots. light hardens as it falls off, so bringing it in a little closer should soften things up, at least.

You seem to have a few Hot Spots and your colour temp seems a bit off.
Here is it with a slight adjustment

10904-2356717460_47728729f7_o.jpg

What did you do to his skin? I have the sun in my eyes right now but it looks like you ruined the skin texture. Did you blur it or something?

Most reactions

Back