self portrait

morethanlip

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
first post here

i haven't shot around in a really long time. decided to take a self portrait the other day to try and capture my mood at the time.

no lighting equipment + crummy camera = photoshop

but let me know what you think of the final product.

selfportrait.jpg

Welcome!

I like the overall tone of this picture. The blown-out portions are intentional, I presume. Some sort of "visitation" :). I love the contrast. Great job.
Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Scott WRG Editor said:
I like it, its very moody and it's almost like your glowing from the blown out sections. Not conventional but cool.

I agree with Scott. I like the fact it is very moody.

I like it. It has an interesting feel to it.

Apart from the fact that it has too much background (I'd at least crop the top of the chest of drawers! - and some part on the right), I really like this for a self-portrait and take it the lighting was intentional and carries a meaning.

Do I take it you were in a crappy mood at the time?
Has taking this photo helped it?
With me, going out trying to take photos can be therapeutic (the outcome, however, can mean I am thrown into a bad relapse... ;) - no, but in general I'm more on the cheerful side, moodwise).

Generally I prefer happy type pictures, having said that, I think this picture is fantastic! The living space is cramped. The picture is well framed as the bed and wall give it a little depth. Stuffing yourself between the bed and dresser further enhances this lack of space. I like the overblown area's has it highlights the subject and yet makes it hazy at the same time, like the mood your portraying. Kudo's I think this is one of the best pictures of it's type I have seen in this forum.. Have to say there have not been many of this type of picture posted here.

Anyhow cheer up, your still young :wink:

Well.. I don't like the blown bits, and I would crop it to a portrait. Apart from that - I think the composure is great, I think the mood is fantastic, and I like the use of B&W.

Summary: I reckon the shot could be damn great but the technicals need improvement.

I like that it is blown out! especially the hidden face and feet! great for me

thanks guys! i really appreciate your comments. yes the blown out portions of the picture were intentional.

Do I take it you were in a crappy mood at the time?
Has taking this photo helped it?

yes i was in a bad mood at the time and yes taking the picture did help. i had not really shot anything for a good 6 months or so and was looking for an out at the time. Taking this photograph really helped release some of my tension at the time.

Anywho...thanks for your comments guys! I hope to get around to take more photographs and posting them on here soon!

Dorm room right? bad mood=dorm room. :wink: I like the shot, cool effect. gotta love PS.

Love the shot. I'm guessing you were a bit down and feeling lost/lonely, as that's excatly was I am getting from this picture.

Well captured.

Karalee said:
Very moody! Well done :) I wouldnt change a thing really.

Neither would I.

There is some strong symbolism whether you intended it or not. Your placement of yourself says to me that you feel stressed by your lot in life. You're forced into a space you wouldn't normally choose given a choice. The harshness of the light shows the intensity our emotions can have on us; good or bad. Even the items on top of the dresser have meaning. Stuff that normally would bring you happiness you can't bear to look at, let alone enjoy. You simply want to curl up into a ball (foetus of course ...) and sleep until your troubles are gone. But even that wouldn't console you, the 'warmth' of your bed isn't nearly as comforting as the cold brick behind you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back