self portrait

thebeginning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danielcolvinphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i already put one of these in the artsy fartsy self portrait theme...but i thought id slap them here too. They are two different shots, but the rule is as long as they are the same subject. and they are :).

i was trying to leave it unbalanced so i would fill alot of the frame vertically but have alot of white space on one side. here is what i came up with:

selfportrait-yellowflowers.jpg

selfportrait-bwflowers.jpg

selfp-bwflowers-small.jpg

i landed on the last one as my favorite...

I like the pose best in the third one, but the last two seem to be overexposed. The whites are extremely bright. Your shirt blends in completely with the background and there should be some seperation between the two. I like what you've done with the negative space though. You could probably burn in some areas on the last one, and add some contrast and play with the brightness a little and see what you come up with. Love the crop and pose though!

eromallagadnama said:
I like the pose best in the third one, but the last two seem to be overexposed. The whites are extremely bright. Your shirt blends in completely with the background and there should be some seperation between the two. I like what you've done with the negative space though. You could probably burn in some areas on the last one, and add some contrast and play with the brightness a little and see what you come up with. Love the crop and pose though!

perfect :)

that is what i was aiming for.

eromallagadnama said:

perfect. that is what i was aiming for :D .

(again, not really a true self portrait)

Good effort! I may have mentioned that self portraits are basically mandatory. Your posts are nice to look at, but... why would you shoot a self portrait that is "not really a true self portrait". Acting or a portrayal of character is fun. We all do it.

Personally; the photo would work better if you were at least standing up. The decision of hiding the mouth with Dandelions is a key element in the frame and should be clearly explained. I mean that even I am cute if I have flowers in front of my mouth.

ehhhh hah.

no truthfully, this isnt a self portrait. I just took a picture in a setting (overexposured, blown out background with flowers) i had been wanting to try for a while, and i just happened to be the subject.

just out of curiousity...what did you mean about a self portrait being mandatory?

Of these, three I like #1 the most. Maybe could go for #2 if the flowers where in color.​

Self-portrait are not real mandatory, it just away to get to know people better. And some people thing they reveal your inter self (not me).

Jeff Canes said:
Of these, three I like #1 the most. Maybe could go for #2 if the flowers where in color.​

Self-portrait are not real mandatory, it just away to get to know people better. And some people thing they reveal your inter self (not me).[/QUOTE]

whaaa? haha.

well eventually i'll post a real one. maybe. :)

I think that at least one that you are proud is mandatory. Not necessarily revealing you inner self, but portraying how you would like to be viewed as an artist.

Personally, it has helped me make the subject more comfortable in front of the lens. As we all know in front of the lens can be a lot scarier than behind it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back