Self Portrait

DramaDork626

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dramadork626.deviantart.com
*sigh* Olympus Digital, indoor, no flash, lamp light

I took the saturation out on purpose. I was sort of trying to assimilate a style similar to my favortie photographer, Philip Warner (Lithium Picnic).

Ok, everyone keeps telling me to SMILE in the picture but I really don't like my smile in pictures. Plus it isn't the effect I was going for.

Anyway, which one do you like better? Also, is it too crowded?

Hair.jpg

hair2.jpg

I think the first one needs a really harsh light to pull off the direction the photo is going. The light and body just dont match up at all for me, seems really forced to be honest with you.

The second is really nice. I do wish there was more space on the left side. Would have balanced out the composition quite nicely, something lighter then the dark part of the hair. Either that or more space on the right side, again for a more balanced shot. Just feels to tight.

I think chopping into a person's head can work, and I do it often, but I prefer to be tighter in when doing so. With a torso shot, I'd prefer if more of your head was in the shots.

The light isn't quite as soft as it looks here. Some contrast is just missing. If you look at the histogram (after cropping out the border), the curve tapers off before it reaches the right side (white). A levels adjustment brings that back.

To try and emulate his style, I might try a more diffuse light further back.

as far as lighting goes i don't have too many options. I pretty much have a desk lamp ;/ thats about it. thats why I like to take most of my pictures outside during the daytime.
whadya mean more diffuse light?

Diffuse light comes from large light sources so it doesn't have a lot of directionality to it, resulting in soft shadows.

It's the difference between a bare light bulb and shining it through a plastic milk jug, white shower curtain, or thin curtain. You can also get diffuse light by using a reflector to bounce the light onto the subject, like with a large piece of foam core.

This is a rendering tutorial, but the image has great examples of both direct and diffuse light. The light falling on the table and floor is direct. It creates very sharp and delineated shadows on the floor. The light bouncing off the floor and shining up on the wall and ceiling is diffuse. It creates soft shadows of the wall hanging and the ceiling light fixture.

There is a good DIY article in popular photographer, either this month or last months issue that you might find interesting.

I like the second one. It looks a little bit more candid. Is that your real hair? (the blue parts) because it is very cool.

-Fiona

Most reactions

Back