self portrait...

thebeginning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danielcolvinphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hm. should this go here? it's not for a client, but does that mean it's not professional? and while we're on that, what is 'professional', anyway? and while you're thinking about that, you might as well look:

:D

selfportrait-dramatic-sm-1.jpg

Intense!!! Your thumb or whatever in the lower right kind of kills it.

Love & Bass

hahaha

err thumb?

that's actually light coming from behind me, but being blocked, from below and to the left side by my shoulder and neck, and from above by some odd mass of hair (curly)

i wanted a tiny bit of light to seep in somewhere to frame it and give the viewer an idea of proportions

Amazing...I love it! I really like the DOF in this shot. :mrgreen:

Cool shot. Agreed, good use of DOF - brings you right to your eyes.

The tip of the nose is out of focus, I think it should be since the pose and lighting create a lot of drama.

As far as your more profound question of what is 'professional', you'll get as many different answers as there are respondents. In the strictest sense of the word and in law, in Canada there are only 4 professions: land surveying, medicine, engineering, law. The professions are usually controlled by their respective associations which can forbid one to practice under penalty of law.

More loosely, anyone who strives to continually improve his craft, is contientious of his abilities, is honest about those abilities, offers help to others learning the craft, treats clients and colleagues in an honest and ethical manner, does not speak ill of other paractisioners, ensures that his actions do not contribute to a negative perception of the craft in the public's eye, and takes responsibility for his work could realistically be termed a professional. Just my opinion.

i think the light in the bottom right is fine.

as far as i understand it a professional is anyone who is paid for their service

hahaha

err thumb?

that's actually light coming from behind me, but being blocked, from below and to the left side by my shoulder and neck, and from above by some odd mass of hair (curly)

i wanted a tiny bit of light to seep in somewhere to frame it and give the viewer an idea of proportions

It throws this otherwise good portrait off balance in this instance.

Most reactions

Back