self-portraits + lighting

ognistik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys... this is my very first post. I recently bought a Nikon D70, my first DSLR ever. All of this "portraits" I took of myself were in my room, lights off and a cheap lamp pointing at me. I was trying with the lighting and other settings of the camera.

Here I am posting the original (almost original, I think I modified the contrast) + one after simple edition. Help me improve with critics...

1.jpg

2.jpg

This last one was a couple of days before, when I had beard... The same lamp but different shutter speed and aperture...

3.jpg

i like them in b+w AWESOME great lighting

i reallly like the last set. nice choice of lighting one side of the face. I think all of the black and white ones are nice.

They're all nice. I like the lighting. Can you maybe make a little diagram to show how you achieved it? Also IMO you look better with a beard lol.

Im not fond of the first 4, but the very last one looks great. I like the half lit face, how did you achieve this? What lens are you using?

Lens I used: TAMRON 28-80mm F/3.5 - 5.6 D

For the last one (and I believe the best one) the focal length was 80 mm. Sensitivity ISO 200. Exposure time of 1/5 sec and aperture of F/32. It was done with a cheap walmart lamp (I wish I had better lighting and stuff). I set the shutter to shoot like in 5 sec, I focused at the same distance as the lamp and I ran and placed myself at a short distance from the source of light. Nothing professional, just experimenting.

In the first two, the exposure time was 1/13 sec and aperture of F/4.5 ... 48 mm of focal length. everything else the same, the same lamp but this time from different angle. Just experimenting as I mentioned. All done in manual mode. Thanks for commenting

Most reactions

Back