Self processed!

nealjpage

multi format master in a film geek package
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Now, I know these aren't the best, but I processed a roll of C-41 myself last nite. It wasn't C-41; rather I cross-processed RSX 50. I'm fairly proud at how they turned out. :mrgreen:

img014.jpg

img017.jpg

As always, C & C welcome. I should try a roll of regular C-41 as a control.

Try shooting the RSX out of bright sunlight. The cross process will hold some really rich detail.

Nice work processing C41, too! I don't have the balls for it right now.

Heck, you have images, so you're on the right track. ;) I agree with Max here about trying a different lighting situation, and maybe bracket 1 stop each way - you're bound to end up with a few frames that won't look as washed out. It's so funky, this process; there is a lot of purply- magenta. Much more pronounced on the 2nd image where there is more shadow.

hee hee; keep it up Neal - you always get some interesting stuff.

Practice with a different film. RSX, like i've said many times, has such wonderful results for CP (especially when shot in low, or at least very even light), it would be a shame to waste it on testing.

Thanks, guys. Sigh. Yeah, I feel bad about wasting it, but I got overly excited and wanted to try it! I pushed my luck, though, and over-exposed by 1 stop like I do with other films I xprocess. I was also shooting in late afternoon which, in southern Oregon, has some of the harshest light. I just need to learn how to get out of bed earlier. :lol:

As far as using RSX in low light, it seems counter-intuitive to use an ISO 50 film in low light situations, especially hand-held.

The C-41 process wasn't as hard as I thought. I immerse my chem bottles in a hot-water bath for about a half hour and pre-soak the film for a few minutes longer than is recommended by Arista. Then while I'm processing, I keep the tank in a tempered bath. Since development is only for 3.5 minutes, it's not that hard to keep a constant temperature. The blix mixture has a range of 95-105 degrees, too, so by the time I'm done with developing, the water bath is still fine for blixing.

Most reactions

Back