Self taught or schooled

I'm not a professional, but I agree with PhotoSlip about the film. 13 yrs ago I bought a Minolta 35mm and shot in Manual mode.. didnt realize there was any other way.
After the first few rolls of crappy pictures, you really start to figure it out. I shot landscapes then, now moving onto portraits and it is kicking my butt, maybe I should take some classes..

Thanks! That's inspiring to hear that.. At my age and working 40 hours a week, and having a family it's tough finding nights classes that can acomodate.

I did come across a photo 101 class but 7:00 pm -10:pm can be a drag but what are you going to do?

i'm in school now . . . but have learned 90+ percent on my own with regards to photography.

self taught through trial & error (and still learning!!)

4 years high school graphic arts, 1 3/4 years PJ classes before moving away. Self taught for the last 35 years and still learning.

Dad threw me an old Nikon FE. I self taught myself through years of taking dodgy photos.

Hey my Dad gave me a Nikon FE too....... self-taught too and still learning. I learned thru reading photography books and TPF.

Look for photos when you're not taking photos.

And then--
:camera::soapbox::camera:

Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,

Then
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,
Read, Shoot,

Self taught. And I agree with three eyed otter.

You know how long it took to figure out how to take the lens off!:mrgreen:

If I can squeeze in one class then I am good to go.

self taught, then took a class in high school(last year) now self teaching again

I'm attending school in portland right now getting my BFA in photography.

I was previously living in Seattle attending the Art Institutes, but transfered out to PNCA in Portland becuase the Administration in Seattle was more concerned about making profits than making sure the students had the resources to do their assignments. (i'm about to rant) There were times when people couldn't do assignments becuase the school ran out of seamless, or they didn't have time to wait 45 minutes for someone else to finish with school equipment, or walk around the studio yelling out "anyone got a polaroid back?!"

PNCA has a bachelors and masters program for photography, the Art Institutes don't. PNCA is accredited, the art institute aren't. Than you have the other small things that make a huge difference, such as PNCA being non-profit, having enough functional equipment, and smaller class sizes, with more studio space.

I thought it was great when the Art Institutes changed their History of Photography class from a hands on alternative process workshop to a classroom where you watch your instructor browse google on a projector for 4 hours looking up the processes that they used to actually do in class.

Nonetheless, i'm excited and I still want to pursue photography and possibly teach it. Hell, I taught my intructors what HDR was and how to to it while I was up in Seattle.

Minored in college 20 years ago, and then kept up shooting. I take a lot of classes, one or two a year at least with specific disciplines - photographing architecture, environmental portraits, but also related material such as digital printing and various Photoshop classes.

Like anything else in the world (except hopefully surgery) what you learn in class is just a foundation, you actually internalize the knowledge when you're out doing it.

Self-Taught through reading stuff from Here and several other forums..

This fall I'm going to hopefully take a photography class for the Developing/Darkroom information/Skills and maybe getting a little more noticed in photography around here.

Most reactions

Back