Selfie under the milky way

I LIKE that. I assume you were wearing a head light... Looks like you're being struck by a brainwave from space ... or touched by the gods. :D

Thank you! hahaha yea it's a headlamp, but I like your interpretation.

That's freakin' awesome!!!

If that is 30 sec exposure, you did hold really still!
Great work! :)

Thanks guys, yes it's a 30 second exposure, single, and it was a challenge to hold still. I have a few new ones too!

It's a popular concept.
But in this case I don't think it came out nearly as good as it could have.

The stars are elongated, likely because the exposure of 30 seconds was to long for the focal length of the lens used.
Consequently, the stars are not sharp and the shot looks a bit out of focus.
Some of the nebular objects in the sky are over exposed, and IMO the color balance is off a fair amount.

It's a popular concept.
But in this case I don't think it came out nearly as good as it could have.

The stars are elongated, likely because the exposure of 30 seconds was to long for the focal length of the lens used.
Consequently, the stars are not sharp and the shot looks a bit out of focus.
Some of the nebular objects in the sky are over exposed, and IMO the color balance is off a fair amount.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Technical perfection is not everything. This is a fabulous shot. Leaving the headlamp on was a great idea. Can't believe you can hold that still for 30 seconds. I wouldn't even make 3.

Yep. Technical perfection isn't everything.
However, note that the photograph is posted in a C&C forum section.

First off, I didn't explicitly ask for C&C, however with that said I don't mind constructive criticism. I laughed because it's really easy to talk about technicalities when you're sitting behind a desk in Iowa. This photo was taken at 10,000 feet in the high Sierras, on top of a mountain, pitch black skies...have you ever tried to capture the milky way in such conditions?? :biglaugh:

This was my second time trying a shot like this, and I tried it using various parameters, but ultimately I sacrificed certain aspects for others. For instance, yea there are slight star trails, but ONLY IF YOU VIEW IT ZOOMED IN, but I chose 30 second exposure because the enhanced milky way colors/detail was what I wanted with the photo, as opposed to going for the most round stars I could capture. Second, this photo is heavily edited in Photoshop, and I was in no way trying to create a 'realistic' photo of the milky way. When you are standing out there on a mountain you can only see a faint whisp of the milky way, thus anything you capture with long exposure is so different from the naked eye, and I personally with these shots go for a more artistic approach. Lastly, sure, some of the stars are blown out, whatever.

First off, I didn't explicitly ask for C&C, however with that said I don't mind constructive criticism. I laughed because it's really easy to talk about technicalities when you're sitting behind a desk in Iowa. This photo was taken at 10,000 feet in the high Sierras, on top of a mountain, pitch black skies...have you ever tried to capture the milky way in such conditions?? :biglaugh:

This was my second time trying a shot like this, and I tried it using various parameters, but ultimately I sacrificed certain aspects for others. For instance, yea there are slight star trails, but ONLY IF YOU VIEW IT ZOOMED IN, but I chose 30 second exposure because the enhanced milky way colors/detail was what I wanted with the photo, as opposed to going for the most round stars I could capture. Second, this photo is heavily edited in Photoshop, and I was in no way trying to create a 'realistic' photo of the milky way. When you are standing out there on a mountain you can only see a faint whisp of the milky way, thus anything you capture with long exposure is so different from the naked eye, and I personally with these shots go for a more artistic approach. Lastly, sure, some of the stars are blown out, whatever.

Way to handle a perfectly fine critique. I like your image but his critique makes sense if you plan to print and for future imaging.

Check out Astrobear on Facebook. He often shows his SOOC milky way work.

https://m.facebook.com/astrophotobe...481435818560085/1032208720149456/?type=3&fs=5

Most reactions

New Topics

Back