Sell each print or a DVD?

five pennies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
New here!

I am trying to start a small buisness in portrait photography and eventually weddings and studio work (when I have enought money). I am wondering what you would reccomend?

Should I make prices for each print or charge a fee for the disc?

Also, what is a fair price for the DVD? Say I do a photoshoot for a family that took one hour with 200 images?

Also, do you cut images out on the disc that didn't turn out well?

I am leaning towards the dvd and reccomending a printer simply because it's easier? Does that look unprofessional and lazy?

Pricing depends on the gig you are photographing and what you feel warrants pricing. Figure out what it will cost you to print, ship, travel, process, take the pictures, overhead, etc. Then you can come up with a price on what to charge. You could definitely price out prints as well as a DVD. For a family shoot - 1hr, that seems excessive for 200 photos. ALWAYS cut out the bad images. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS lol. It's standard to edit every photoshoot you are at. It may be easier to let the client print the pictures themselves, but you will never know what quality they print at, and remember that people will associate that with your name. This is a common topic in this forum about providing DVD's vs only providing prints (where you know exactly the quality that will be associated with your name)

Welcome to the forum.

This is indeed a popular topic and also one that has to be thoroughly thought out. You should sit down and think out your business plan which includes your pricing strategy etc.

As Mr Kennedy mentions...Always cut the bad images. I'd suggest that you cut the mediocre images as well...only show the client the 'best of the best' of your images. I heard a saying once: The difference between an average photographer and a good photographer is the size of their waste basket (or recycle bin). The point being that the average photographers show people all their shots while the good photographer only shows their best work.

I am leaning towards the dvd and reccomending a printer simply because it's easier? Does that look unprofessional and lazy?
Some might say that it's less professional but their are certainly many pros doing it. They key point is that you should be charging a lot of money for the disc. Remember, you are not just selling the disc...you are likely selling them the right to make their own prints.

There are pros and cons to both ways. Sure, it's quick and easy to put the finished images on disc and deliver that. But the downside is that you loose control over the final product. What if they take them to a cheap lab or print themselves and it looks terrible. They might hang that in their home and tell everyone that you were the photographer...you could be getting a bad reputation by no fault of your own and without your knowledge.

If you sell your own prints, you have control over how they look but it costs you time, effort and money to get those prints & deliver/ship them.

mr kennedy, sounds like you're talking to my dad...lol

I use Zenfolio and it doesn't get much easier. I set up Price Lists (that I've marked up accordingly) and apply to the new gallery. Then all I have to do is upload the finished results to the gallery and send the link to the client so they can get on there and view them.

They can then view the entire gallery and order what they want and the profits go to me while the shipment goes to them. Plus, I have right clicked disabled so it's not easy for them to "right click and save as" to get them for free.....plus I have a watermark on them so they can't "print screen" and print without some difficulty....watermarks obviously only appear on the images on the site...not when printed.

All of this is setup through zenfolio. It takes a little time to set it all up, but now all I have to do is create a new gallery with the price list applied (10 seconds), and upload the photos which I just set and walk away so they can upload (about 20 seconds to get the uploading started).

I have a couple of problems with the DVD route. For one, you are charging them for the ability to pay to print them. So they are paying for the dvd and also paying for the prints (at Walmart or wherever). Through you they would just pay once and get their pictures.

Second, you have no control over where they print them. Walmart ALWAYS underexposes my prints when they print them and usually the colors are off some. I don't want images out there in frames that are underexposed with bad colors and having them tell people that they are my photos (when they no longer look great because of bad printing).

If you do decide to go with the DVD route, I think it would be better to just up your sitting fee prices and advertise that a DVD with the prints will be provided rather than charge them extra to have the ability to print.

Thanks so much. I will probably end up doing a combo....DVD isn't sounding so appealing anymore. Thanks for the website NateS. I have alot of work ahead of me...daunting and exciting!

IF you use Zenfolio.com for a website, you can get a discount with this code: KRN-AGE-KAX

Display your work and sell Excellent Professional quality prints in all sizes not just to the Bride, but to all family and friends.

Offer a wide range of unique photo gifts for every occasion, from photo mouse pads and mugs to photo puzzles, shirts, and magnets, aprons, coasters, key chains, buttons, and many other items.

The more you have to offer, the greater the profit.

Make a DVD and copies are free for all relatives and friends.
If Movie studios can't prevent copying no photographer can.

Thanks so much. I will probably end up doing a combo....DVD isn't sounding so appealing anymore. Thanks for the website NateS. I have alot of work ahead of me...daunting and exciting!

No problem. If you end up signing up...enter the referral below and we both get a $5 credit since I actually referred you there (looks like RJohnston tried to jump in and get credit for my referral...lol).

XVJ-NZZ-BYX

Anyway, I've had good luck with them and Zenfolio uses Mpix as their printing company. Print quality is truly top notch and the best out of the many places I tried.....plus they've got good prices for printing (means more profit for you) and pretty cheap shipping.

$500 (low end) to $2000 (high end) for the dvd -- depends on how bad you want or don't want them to buy the dvd.

I use picturespro like a few others on here and love it.
As for selling DVD's of photo's I have seen others charge $300 and up for that, which I agree with, because once they get the dvd they print for 19 cents at Walmart or wherever and you get nothing-:)

As for selling DVD's of photo's I have seen others charge $300 and up for that, which I agree with, because once they get the dvd they print for 19 cents at Walmart or wherever and you get nothing-:)
other than the $300 of course.

Certainly you want to be sure and have a separate Sitting Fee/Retainer that is paid up front so you are adequetly compensated for your time should the client fail to order any images, print or disc.

other than the $300 of course.

Certainly you want to be sure and have a separate Sitting Fee/Retainer that is paid up front so you are adequetly compensated for your time should the client fail to order any images, print or disc.

Yes! Sorry my bad. I should have put that others that I have seen are charging $300 and up per DVD of prints on top of sitting fees/ wedding fees etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back