Selling for the first time...please help!!!

jonnynation

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey one and all!
I would be so grateful if I could ask your advice on how much I should charge for my photographs. Photography has always been a hobby for me and I am now sharing an exhibition in a gallery in the Midlands of the UK. WOOHOO!!!! Anyway, I am looking to sell my photographs at A4 size and I have no idea how to price them. If anybody could let me know the 'market rate' for that size of photograph, I would greatly appreciate it, as I am showing in two weeks! (I am including picture mounts in the price of the photograph).
I have just joined this forum, so I shall look forward to reading any replies and also to chatting with some of you soon!
Thanks in advance and kindest regards,
Jonny

...in the Midlands of the UK... photographs at A4 size... 'market rate'...

Hi, Johnny. Welcome to TPF.

It seems you've nearly answered you own question. You know your product description and you (of course) are situtated in your market area.

One more step... look/call around you to see what photographers of your caliber/skill level are getting for a similar product. Then you'll have YOUR market rate.

-Pete

Hey! Thanks for your message! Kindest regards, Jonny

This is a highly subjective question. What type of photography are you selling? Are they limited prints, sold on canvas, signed and numbered by you?

You don't actually have to answer those questions, but remember this question, what is my time and talent really worth?

We all can walk into a store and purchase a print for our walls for $10, but was this a print made on a massive scale? What are the chances I will see this print in my friends house? What level of skill and intrigue is used to capture the viewer's interest?

These are additional factors effecting your pricing decision. Most importantly, your personal confidence in your work. You may feel the market rate is fair, but consider this, what does that mean exactly?

Market rate refers to an average. Is the work above average, limited editions (as mentioned before), and so on? Have faith in yourself.

You mentioned sharing the gallery. Do you know the other artists('s)? Ask them for their price points. We all start from somewhere.

Lastly, huge congratulations are in order for you. This is a big step I wish you much success.

-Nick

For what it's worth, here's my experience ;-)

I sell mounted prints mostly through art markets and craft fairs. Prints are generally abt 16" x 10", mounted up to 20" x 16". At these outlets I charge £20 and have had varied feedback from customers. Some think it's about right, but many say it's a very reasonable price. I have sold for higher prices through the internet though.

The point is at markets and fairs, people are not usually going out to purchase a print and parting with a £20 note isn't too hard. But ask £50 and they just wouldn't bother.

Good luck anyway. :)

Colin.

Most reactions

Back