Selling on a street corner in NYC (or similar) advice

dlifesjrny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I figure this may be an easy way to make a little extra cash, has anyone done this?
How did you set up? What did you use? Did police bother ya? What neighborhood?

Well, this comment doesn't have anything to do with photography, but I recently read a book on the book vendors on 6th street in NYC (keep in mind i've never been there.) It was a sociological ethnography. The advice I would give you from what I learned from that book is learn the law. At the time of publication of that book, written matter was saleable on the streets and the cops wouldn't mess w/ the vendors too much. But theres also quite a community among vendors so try your best to fit in and not hurt anyone's feelings. There are alos a lot of regulations about where you can sale so get a copy of the appropriate laws and read em.

I'd expect you'd need a permit and a licence. Either contact the people in charge for advice or have a word with someone who already has a stall.
My sister just came back from New York and brought back a couple of photos which were being sold like you want to do.

Thanks.
There are no stalls really, just people setting up where ever they want. NYC is huge.

I was just in NYC and the areas around Central Park had a lot of photo/art sellers. The sad thing is, they were all selling the same thing! It blew my mind! More power to you if you can mix up the batch a little.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back