Selling photographs

among_the_living

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am just starting to get into photography alot more and all i have is a finepix A205 digital camera which i dont know if you know but it isnt too good at all. Im looking to get a better camera something perhaps like a finepix S5000 just to upgrade but not go too deep into the brand new ones such as the S7000.

But i dont really have much in the way of cash or a means to ge tit as im only 17 and still in college so alot of my time is either spent on college work or photography.

One way im thinking of getting some quick cash for a camera is to sell some items (i have a sony ericsson p910i phone and a 20gig 4th gen ipod to sell) so if anyones interested let me know, but also i was wondering what i could do to sell a photograph i have taken, this is one of my first photos and i like it alot, i know i wouldnt get much at all for it, but anything is worth it to get me that better camera than the one i have now.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34623

The photo is in my topis there, either of the pictures int he whole thread i could sell, but i think the origional and the black and whit eones would sell better than the rest.

Any ideas on how i could sell it, baring in mind it was taken with a finepix a205 camera, or if anyone on here would be willing to buy it/any of my items.

Thanks

With the type of photographs you are taking could you possibly advertise to local bands and offer to take photos for their Websites and Albums covers?

You CANNOT possibly make a living (be it pocket-money or otherwise) with a digital Point-and-shoot shooting friends of yours without a studio and studied photography (i.e amateur hands) unless you're preparing for Iraq, paparazzi or the next terrorist attack in a New York subway (reminiscent to the London bombing.). It's ridiculous. And Fuji cameras are designed to be affordable, not for good photography. Some of the professional photographers here actually toiled for photographs that had no luck being sold, photographs that are more meaningful that your little portrait excursion. Good photographs come from experience, preparation and lots of time;not "snapshots".

And why would you insist on getting a better camera? Do you thoroughly know what your camera can do, can you use your camera on full manual without using automated settings yet? The camera is not really the most important factor to good photography - it plays a role, but not as vital as experience and knowledge. Understand photography techniques and terminology first before deciding whether you need that new camera.

If you are willing to go deep into photography and treat it as a hobby, you're better off looking at Canon 300D D-SLR. But even so you should really start saving money instead of buying things on your heart's desire.

My words may be a bit too harsh, but this is reality - people pays for practical things (good, meanigful photographs are esthatically useful), and unfortunately anything other that practical photos are virtually worthless in the real world.

Amoki makes some very good (if harshly true!) points here. It should be remembered that the camera does help, but the photographer is really all that counts.

I would personally recommend setting yourself some realistic achievable goals with regard to photography. If digital is the path you are happy with then aiming for either an entry level dSLR or an older "pro" second-hand dSLR will almost certainly be better than a stop-gap mid-level pro-sumer.

There's not really any decent money to be had as a new entrant to the photographic world. These things take a long time and passionate dedication. As I mentioned in another thread rant recently, just selling pics is not a luxury you have available to you.

Working as a photographic assistant is a great way in, but does that fit with your school/college/lifestyle/career?

If you aim for something like a Canon EOS350D, then you can't have it now. However, if you are committed to doing more photographically then the S5000/S7000 will be an expensive and probably unnecessary stop-gap.

Most people here would recommend a dSLR for the obvious reasons - control, optics, sensor size. It probably seems outside your reach right now, but if you work really hard towards saving money, selling your bits on eBay, raising money with family and relatives, begging, working etc. you can probably get one by Easter without too much trouble.

Then you can get yourself out there and produce what you like image-wise. You can attend family and friends wedding parties and get great candid shots of people and chuck them out at cost. Get a rep. Make some money. It'll take a couple of years or so, but then you can easily make enough money to spend most of your spare time hanging out taking pictures of skaters or whatever floats your boat.

The 300D is actually more "recommendable" then the 350D, because it's bundled with the Adobe P. Elements 2.0 : great for people who just started photography. IT's quite cheap too, since the price was drastically lowered when the 350D came in. Plus the 350D is only slightly better with large MP, faster Processor, and faster buffer. Did I mention 300D can be hacked with the 10D firmware? :D

The thing is, you should not aim too high as a "newbie" to photography. Photography takes a life-time to master. Your equipment doesn't really affect your photography, so you don't have to aim for better equipment in so little time. So keep your equipment: keep shooting, maybe you'll make it someday.

Heh its ok....although it is a bit harsh, im sure all of you started out wanting to take pictures of everything and get really into it and make a living from it so there was no need to ne so harsh, but thanks.

I actually (sinc ei made this thread) sold my portrate picture to a local agency for a gallery they are having in my city for £50, i know its not alot or anything but to me it is, but thanks for all the advice.

among_the_living said:
I actually (sinc ei made this thread) sold my portrate picture to a local agency for a gallery they are having in my city for £50, i know its not alot or anything but to me it is, but thanks for all the advice.

Nice one mate :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back