Selling photos

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Talonted90, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Talonted90

Talonted90 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Sorry I really have no idea where else to make this post. I contacted a website (Endangered Species) the other day that is essentially an international database for endangered species for every single country informing them that I had two pictures of endangered salamanders from a trip to Honduras that they were welcome to use for the website, which they gladly accepted. Here is the catch, they sent me a follow-up email saying they would really like to compensate me monetarily for them and asked how much I would want for each photo. I have never sold any photos or received money any kind of money so I really have no idea how much I should say. Not that it makes too much of a difference but here are the links to both of the photos on the website.

Earth's Endangered Creatures - Conant's Salamander Facts
    Earth's Endangered Creatures - El Cusuco Salamander Facts

Please help me in deciding what is fair compensation for these photos.

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

that's very honest of them.

I wouldn't know how much to ask for though.... Maybe tell them you would be open to an offer, or ask them how much they usually give their contributors?

3. vishankapraveen

vishankapraveen TPF Noob!

what abut online selling ?

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I would say get them to make the first offer - they might offer you far more than you think - and if its a common policy for them I am sure they will have an idea of a fair price. Then you can back that offer price up with research yourself - see what the going rates are from other people and sources and see if your getting offered a good deal or not - then you can try haggling for a higher price if you desire