Selling Photos

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by fokker, Mar 3, 2010.

1. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi all, I've never sold any photos before but today I took photographs at a local school-run motocross type event of children and young people riding their dirt bikes around a track.

What I would ideally like to do is upload the photos to some website where the parents of the children can look at either thumbnails of the photos or larger size pictures with a big ugly 'sample only' type watermark, and then either order printed photos delivered to their door, or full resolution .jpgs for a cheaper price. Does such a website exist? I'm sure one does, but not really sure how to look for what I want so figured it might be easier to ask on here and also hopefully hear some opinions on alternative methods of selling the pictures. I don't regard myself as a professional in any sense of the word, but I'd like to get something out of it if possible, and I think the parents would be happy to pay a few bucks for each shot of their kids, especially for prints that are delivered to them.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Eventer

Eventer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    theres loads of equstrian events like this, they photograph at different competitions then sell the photos etc, a popular one is www.takethemoment.co.nz and geegee.co.nz there loads :D

3. Wingutcg

Wingutcg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Killboy.com is a website just like what you are talking about. He takes pictures of people as the drive, or ride by on a perticular public road. You can go on his wesite a few days later pick out your picture and order.

4. killboy

killboy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That is correct, although we shoot on a public roadway with no privacy issues to deal with. Shooting on private property for the purpose of sales requires permission from the property owners, and technically the subjects also have a right to privacy, so you'll need permission from all of their parents or password-protect the photos.

We use Photoreflect.com (free until you make a sale, then 15% charge, no limitations on upload quantities or longevity) If you have any questions I'll try to check back here or you can email us.

5. burstintoflame81

burstintoflame81 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  6. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Be very wary of legal advice you find in photography forums. It is often based on urban legend, rather than legal fact.

The safest source of legal advice is a certified attorney.

7. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    SWEET seeing you here, killboy!! I check your site almost weekly for your highlights updates...... :thumbup: