selling prints to your customers

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by kellylindseyphotography, May 6, 2008.

1. kellylindseyphotography

kellylindseyphotography TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    do you put your name in the corner always? you must if you don't want them to go down to kinko's or whatever and reproduce it correct?

what do you say if they ask for the print w/o your name on it? just no?

2. Lacey Anne

Lacey Anne TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would never put my name on the actual print on the photo.

3. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can have prints made on paper that has something like, " do not copy, professional photo" that kind of stuff all across the back of the paper. Any photo lab should refuse to copy them.

4. maytay20

maytay20 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My lab puts my company name on the back of every photo and the paper itself say Kodak professional paper on the back. For costumers I never put my name on the front of a print. I have put it on a couple of my prints I used when I am a vendor at food tasting / wedding shows just so they see my name and the photo.

5. kellylindseyphotography

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ah thanks. what if you are ordering online from a place like mpix?

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As mentioned, some labs can put your company or something on the back. You could also get yourself a stamp with whatever you want and stamp them yourself.

Actually, it's illegal for Kinko's or who ever to make copies from prints like that. Unless that person owns the copyright to the image. A few labs/printing places have been sued, which is good because that makes them more diligent about it.

Still, things to slip though the cracks. It just depends on the person working the lab/copy shop and if they follow the rules or not.

Also, scanners are dirt cheap...so people can scan your images and make illegal copies that way. Many people don't even realize that it's illegal...

7. DeadEye

DeadEye TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Only on the give away stuff for my own promotion. I have given a few of my best shots that are watermarked to local shops to be displayed, the watermark is small so you got to look for it, if someone is interested they will.

Funny thing I was set up to shoot a bird the other day with a 200mm lens and cam on a tripod about 20 feet from the nest. I was about 300 feet back in the weeds holding a remote waiting for a good time to trigger it. Then here comes MDE " Maryland Department of Enviroment " in a shallow water jet boat and starts taking water samples a few feet from nest. Ohhh well this shoot is shot. I get up and start putting away the gear. This guy realizes that he just spooked my subject and apoligizes. I tell em no biggie there was no way you could have known except that there was a tripod and camera with apparently no photog at the nest.

Anywhoo~ he getts chatty and starts telling me about this person called DeadEye that has stuff in the local coffie shop that is the best he ever saw.:D Did I ever see any of his stuff. So I said No never heard of em, and smirked all the way home.

8. dslrchat

dslrchat TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Is there not a way to watermark your print in such away that it is invisable with the human eye, but becomes visable when you scan/copy it?

Has anyone read or seen this before?

I thought I read that somewhere, I will research later tonight.

9. Lyncca

Lyncca TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I watermark the online proofs (or actually smugmug does it for me automatically) but the actual prints do not have anything on them. I do have a copyright statement on the back of the prints though that smugmug also provides as a service.

10. CanadianMe

CanadianMe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I put a copyright date, my name and a do not copy or reproduce on the back of anything I give away, sell, donate or display. I started doing it to everything so it becomes a habit and I don't forget. Unless it is on display I would not even think of putting a watermark on an image. And like Deadeye does I think it is a good idea to put a small one on works that are displayed for promotion, that is different then putting one on a gift, sale or donation though.

11. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is actually photographic paper that is supposed to do that...but from what I've heard, it hasn't been perfected yet.

12. kellylindseyphotography

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I used to work at the major chains (picture people, jc penny, sears..) and their photo paper does that. When you try to make a copy of it or scan it in, you get a big "DO NOT COPY" instead.