selling your photos

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by nomav6, Oct 16, 2004.

1. nomav6

nomav6 TPF Noob!

whats up, Im new here, and kinda new to selling photography, I have been around it for all my life and I was in the darkroom at the age of 8 lol and now that Im about to be out of college and I have some ok pictures in my porto. I was wondering what laws there where about selling your photos, I have someone right now thats wanting to buy some prints off of me but I want to make sure everything is legal.
    Thanks.

2. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

hi! im going to move this to general photo Q and A where youll get more responses...

md

3. nomav6

nomav6 TPF Noob!

ok, thanks

4. Jovian

Jovian TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It really depends a lot on what the pictures are of. Also what country you are in. There's different tax laws depending on where you are.

5. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As Jovian said, where you live matters a great deal; not only for taxes but if you are allowed to even sell the image in the first place. Your best bet would be to talk to someone local who has experience with this, like other photographers that have established businesses.

6. nomav6

nomav6 TPF Noob!

I guess I should have posted that I was in the US, one of my main concerns is a picture of a football, it has about half of the logo showing, and I was wondering if there where some legal issues with that.
    Thanks for the help so far.

7. Jovian

Jovian TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would say that if the logo is showing at all, I wouldnt risk is. However, if the logo isn't critical to what makes the picture a good one... just clone it out in Photoshop, then noone will know.

8. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some state laws will vary, too, which is why I suggested talking to someone with experience locally. I agree with Jovian about the football, but an Internet message board really isn't a good place to get legal advice. We may be missing something since we aren't lawyers. I know I'm sounding all serious here, but we could be talking about some pretty hefty judgements if you infringe on someone else's copyright or privacy.