Semi-Ruined my Canon 10-22mm EF-S

That vibration will not dislodge fairly large particles of dust (or one can be unlucky and a small piece gets statically charged, sticks and won't let go).

If it really isn't sensor dust, send it in for cleaning. Canon can take it apart and make sure all the elements are given a thorough cleaning. It's entirely possible that if the lens isn't on any of the external elements, you got really unlucky somehow and dust got inside the lens itself.

Ok figured it out, man do I feel stupid... let me get the proof up and it will be pretty obvious...

Okay, at KmH's suggestion I locked in at f16. All shots were taken on a tripod pointed at widest focal length of each lens. I also blasted each of my lenses with my rocket blower thing.

Here is the 10-22mm:
10-22mm.jpg

Here is my 28-135mm at 28mm:
28-135.jpg

Here is my 28mm 1.8:
28mm.jpg

Here is my 50mm 1.4:
50mm.jpg

Seeing a Pattern here!

18-55mm at 18mm:
18-55.jpg

So I locked my mirror up blasted some air in and threw the 10-22mm back on to get this:
10-22mmAFTER.jpg

And again the original for comparison:
10-22mm.jpg

I think I might get my camera professionally cleaned, I think it looks better but there are still some spots.

Well good thing is there's nothing wrong with the 10-22mm. I think I might put it on Craig's List anyway. I never shot skys or solid colored things with ANY of my other lenses so I've never noticed the dust except on broad sweeping landscapes with the 10-22mm...

I'm glad I posted this, I thought all along it was the dumb lens... wow.

Glad to hear everything is fine. As I said, dust in the front element will not shows up like this. Also, the dust removal system do not work as it should. At least in the current Canon system.

I saw a comparison test in the past, the only one that seems better was Olympus.

Here is the link

Review: Dust removal systems / sensor cleaning - Pixinfo.com

Ranking from the site regarding the dust removal system:

1. Olympus: good
  2. Canon: poor (we are disappointed)
  3. Pentax and Sony: useless (we are very disappointed)

And the final conclusion from the site

The final conclusion: keep your air blower handy, it is still your best tool against dust.

So, you just did what the site recommended! And it worked!

Erm, what did you do to it? UV filters are pretty useless, TBH. The front element of the lens is the cheapest part to replace, and if something is strong enough to break the UV filter, you can bet on it scratching the front element on it's way through. A hood provides more protection, and doesn't degrade image quality to boot.

I use filters on all my lenses. It's not really about stopping something hard enough to break the filter, as you said, anything hitting the lens that hard will damage the lens as well, filter or no. It's more about things that could scratch the lens. If a branch scrapes against the front of the lens, or if my daughter splats her vegemite-covered hands against the lens, or if I'm shooting on the beach and I get a spray from a wave, I'd much rather my filter take the damage instead of my lens.

Fair enough. I prefer excess caution to the possible loss of IQ.

And Vegemite? Eugh. That stuff is poison. *cringe* :greenpbl:

Most reactions

Back