Sending paper through the mail

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by fadingaway1986, Jan 20, 2006.

1. fadingaway1986

fadingaway1986 I Burn Easily :(

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi guys.
    As some of you know, I am going to TAFE this year. I got my booklist, and on it it says I need black and white paper...

It recommends Ilford Multigrade IV Pearl Surface (box of 100).

I can't find this anywhere (local).

I have, however, found it at a couple of places online. One of these being B&H Photo.

Now, my question, seeing as I am in Australia - what do you think the chances of it getting here undamaged and unfogged are?

(Do xrays effect film aswell?)

Please let me know! I know B&H has a good name - I am not worried about that, just whether it would make it through the mail undamaged

2. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

X-Rays can fog film, especially at airports and places where the machines are turned up really high, but film is generally quite a bit more sensitive than paper. Do you Aussies X-Ray every single item posted to you? It seems unlikely, especially a package like that, but these are paranoid times.

I'd be more worried about them tearing the edge of the packet than fogging it with X-Rays. So, I'd say go for it!

Rob

3. 'Daniel'

'Daniel' TPF Noob!

Well I'd suggest that they put it in a do not bend envelope or one of the packages like you get from amazon that comes with a dvd in that no one is going to bend anyway.

As to getting X-rayed I think it's unlikely that they will x ray it for long enough for it to be affected. It rarely happens with film.

4. fadingaway1986

fadingaway1986 I Burn Easily :(

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Do you think B&H would put a message on there saying it contains light & xray sensitive paper?

5. 'Daniel'

'Daniel' TPF Noob!

E-mail their customer services or phone them, they may be able to organise it it might even be standard procedure.