"Senior Photo" opinions

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by Soraiden, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Soraiden

Soraiden TPF Noob!

This is the first time I have ever really tried to take photos other than silly vacation & pet snapshots. My boyfriend's mom thought she would try save money this year by taking his sister's senior photos herself. She sent a few test photos to me, but the camera/photo quality wasn't up to par. I have no idea what camera it is, but it takes 3.5" floppys.

I only have a Canon PowerShot A75, so I borrowed my parents Canon Rebel EOS & tried to take some. I figured at least we could win half of the battle and not have grainy photos.

Anywho...we took over 150 photos & had so much fun doing it :D Between taking them and playing with them on PS CS2, I am addicted. I thought I'd have her name on the photos, rather than mine ~ as I have no right to advertise, lol. I had to send my parents camera back to them, but I think I will be getting the 20D for the holidays this year.

Their mom loves them now, but I want them improved more... here is one from the batch.

[​IMG]

2. 'Daniel'

'Daniel' TPF Noob!

What do you mean by more? If you're asking how can you take better pictures thats a pretty big question.

I'd say practice and study. Study how professional photographs are taken.

3. Soraiden

Soraiden TPF Noob!

Just some opinions w/o the brutal critique gallery ;)

4. BadRotation

BadRotation TPF Noob!

Just a side note, Portraits are really easy to do once you get the hang of it. I have been doing them for nearly a year now, and my biggest hurdle was learning how to actually deal with the people (being a slightly shy person). Keep practicing and you will get the hang of it.

5. Soraiden

Soraiden TPF Noob!

Ahh.. ok... thanks for that :)

Taking photos of Jenny (this one) was really easy, cause she is practically my sister...so we probably had a little too much fun. Tee hee :D

Do you have any of your portraits posted somewhere?

6. BadRotation

BadRotation TPF Noob!

Not right now, I am currently working on setting up a new server here at home, but once it is set up, I am sure I can post a few of my portraits.

7. LizM

LizM TPF Noob!

Basically watch the lighting on the face (no eyes in shadow or blown out hair). Shoot from a slight side angle on standing shots (slimming), and pay attention to background.

You shot is very good but the shirt is much brighter than the face on the B&W. Also, what about making the main shot color and the others B&W? I love that effect by the way!

8. Soraiden

Soraiden TPF Noob!

Thanks for tips & ideas... I *really* appreciate it :)

I will try inversing the B&W areas... right now I have it all color & this version, I didn't even think to have it the 3rd way... that's great!

9. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm not a pro and my experience iwth portraits is rather poor, but remember to talk to the modelall the time... just say "ok... right... stop now... turn left " and so on. I was told that it makes the whole session easier

10. Soraiden

Soraiden TPF Noob!

Oh, thanks! I am sure that will be really good for the future...not everyone will be as close as her & I.

Her mom was there, so I was babbling and we were both joking around. Her mom would fuss her hair one way, then her & I would put it back the way we liked it, lol. I got some really lovely photos when she was just laughing & looking off at her mom.

11. BLINN

BLINN TPF Noob!

how did you PS the first photo to get the flim strip?? These are great.

MB

12. Soraiden

Soraiden TPF Noob!

Thank you! :)

The filmstrip was very easy...the outline of the film strip is just a stock image. If you look closer you can see that the same "7" is used over & over... I had gotten lazy & didn't replace the photo numbers :blushing:

The strip was originally vertical, so I just copied my images into the strip, rotated it CCW & extracted it because I wanted the outer edges of the strip to be transparent. Added it as a layer to the main image.