Senior Portrait Idea

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by Sw1tchFX, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    This year, I might do some senior portraits for a little cash. However, I need input on how they should look. I really hate the cookie cutter senior portrait look. The soft look works great with women, but not so much with men (in my opinion). I want to do something that would make anyone look though the yearbook go, "wow, look at THAT."

The input I need is, would you buy something, or let your kids have portraits that looked like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The women would have a toned down version so their blemishes don't come out, but it would still have the same feel.

These are both self portraits, and I used a single SB-600 as the kicker in the first image, and the key light in the second.

2. heip

heip TPF Noob!

A little harsh IMO. I kinda' like the look, but I'm not sure for seniors. You could always show them the options so they can choose or maybe they like that look if it's associated with something they're into, ie; sports, cars,etc. In any event, good luck in you endevours.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    mkay. It's just I hate the soft look that mine had, and I can do both and everything in between, so ok.

Thanks for the input!

4. ScottS

ScottS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the eyes look way too unnatural in the first one, but they are very different and I like them

5. theusher

theusher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    [removed]

6. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ok, thanks again for the feedback!

7. The Phototron

The Phototron TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Haha, get feedback directly from your clients! I bet they'll love it. People love edgy looks, things in the magazine.

The issue is that you're not just asking for possible parents, but also photographers who have different approaches.

You could always present it as an option and let your client pick the style they want.

8. zendianah

zendianah TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like it! To me it looks like a magazine add. I hate cookie cutter., I do agree with asking the clients.. I personally wish when I was a senior my photog was edgy. Great job!

9. JubbaKing

JubbaKing TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like it. A lot of the seniors will like it because it's different but the parents are who buy. Include both the regular version and a rough draft version of the photo you manipulate. That way if the senior likes it, they'll convince mom to like it and you can charge extra to do the special effect.

10. NJMAN

NJMAN TPF Noob!

Far beyond the bowels of human existence...Minneso
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree. I like what you're doing. 17-18 year old guys just don't look right with the soft blur processing. They should have a bit more skin texture in the face and some dramatic lighting helps too.

I just got done with a senior portrait shoot myself, and I purposely used more contrast and made him look a little more rugged. I can post a couple if it would help.

NJ

11. NJMAN

NJMAN TPF Noob!

Far beyond the bowels of human existence...Minneso
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here is kind of what I'm referring to. They are not exactly like yours, but you get the idea. I did almost no processing on the skin, except for cleaning up a couple of pimples. Normally, I do quite a bit of skin processing. The senior purposely gave me some very sober expressions, so he could have a few that were sort of dark. He loves these. His mom loves the color versions where he is smiling. Go figure...:) They havent ordered yet, but Im anxious to see what they will pick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, I HATED my senior pictures. They looked soft, and as a result, looked feminine. Like I said, it works great for women, not really for men.

But yeah, the edgy part is what i'm hoping I can bank on. It's alot more fun, looks a ton more involved, and I think the seniors would like it's grittyness.
    That's a good idea,

I redid the eyes, so they don't look as bright. looks alot more convincing.

[​IMG]