Senior Portraits - Concept Test #1

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by tirediron, May 29, 2016.

1. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    School in general isn't nearly as big here as it is in the US, especially south/east US. The fanatical sports (hockey, football) are generally NOT school sports here.

There will definitely be an outdoor component, but this is kind of 'new ground' up here, so I don't want a complete departure from what parents are used to, more of a transition.

I am a bit of a sucker for dark backgrounds, but it's definitely not always appropriate. That ball was just what he happened to have; it's in pretty rough shape. "Real" shots would have a new, clean ball.
    I don't see that being too popular up here in any event. I'm thinking of using the school or local landmarks, but it's going to be client dependent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    As I understand it, school in Merrie Olde England is not like in the U.S. either. Our eldest grandson finished his 6th Form, and we were told to "don't bother" about it. Now he is graduating from Uni. over there and wifey is going. She can't get it into her head that it's not the same as here. I'm not going, choosing instead to avoid the expense, the disruption to my life, and the excruciating air travel hassles.

If only there were iron rails from here to there.

3. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Yep... we're not quite as blasé as the UK, but we're closer to their way of thinking then that of the US for the most part. Honestly, I suspect this isn't going to go anywhere, but I'm so tired of see the absolutely HORRIBLE quality of work that's being passed off as school portraits these days that I'm almost doing this more as a public service.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Designer

Photos OK to edit
    So, no railroad tracks then?

• Like Like x 1
  5. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Actually I could since the only rail line on Vancouver Island (E&N RR) is no longer in service... But good taste would prevent that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Designer

Photos OK to edit
    Just wait! You know some of your seniors are going to want an abandoned railroad as their lifestyle portrait environment.

And then you're like; "rilly?"

And then they're like; rilly!

7. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    I have cards from a couple of other area photographers in my bag. No problem! :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. MikeFlorendo

MikeFlorendo TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    It comes down to what the client wants. I have done senior portraits in all the locations you have mentioned and it's what the parents requested. It's a paying job and you do what is necessary to get paid. You can make other suggestions but in the end what do you do when the parents want a certain location?

• Like Like x 1
  9. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Valid point. The person paying the bills calls the shots. To a point. Railroad tracks aren't an issue here, but if there were working lines, I would simply refuse to shoot there.

10. twocolor

twocolor No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some of the shadows on that second one really distract for me. I think bumping your contrast and adding a bit of edgy sharpening might make it more "teenagery". Teenage boys DO NOT smile in senior portraits. I try and try and try to pull out a smile, but sometimes it's just impossible and when you do get it, it doesn't look genuine. So I'm completely fine with the no smile for him.

Your lighting is nice, but it doesn't scream senior boy to me. I wonder about adding gels to your lights to warm them up a bit. Give off a more dramatic effect.

side note, I do like getting him out of the studio. I feel like he'd loosen up quite a bit in a less formal environment, like walking the alleys etc.

Good luck being the trend setter for senior portraits in Canada!

• Like Like x 1
  11. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks! Excellent idea on the gels. I've got a couple of more tests lined up, so I will definitely be trying that. Appreciate the insight!

12. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

The best senior portraits are the ones that reflect the senior. Shooting senior portraits is a lot like shooting a wedding or a commercial product job. Sit down with the senior and the parents since they are the money end and find out about the senior. What they like, what the like to do, what is important to them, how they want to be remember as, what they want to remember of this time in their life.

Have a good list of suitable locations that will cover almost any aspect of their life. I've seen far to many nice looking senior portraits with a tree, rock bridge, brick wall etc. that do not seem to convey anything other than the senior is standing by a tree, sitting on a bridge or leaning against a brick wall.