Senior Portraits - Concept Test #1

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by tirediron, May 29, 2016.

1. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    All good points, and I agree completely; all I'm working on right now are "example" images, and at this point more concept than finished images.

2. otherprof

otherprof TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Thinking of what I would like to see for my granddaughter (a soccer player) I think the black background makes it look too much like a portrait, and too formal. Also, I wonder if some motion blur, even if not on the court, wouldn't add to the "lifestyle" idea. In a pose like the second one, would it work better to catch him pushing the ball forward, e.g.? I'm thinking of emphasizing the contrast with the portrait.

3. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    What I'm working on is a set; there will be a traditional family portrait, a school activity portrait (that's what this is) and then 1-2 images on the court, playing a guitar, doing whatever out & about.

4. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Good luck with the curlers, and I don't mean hair curlers. It's going to be a loooonnnngggg, slloooooooowwwww, shoot.

5. otherprof

otherprof TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry, I misinterpreted your intention for these. I guess I just criticized portraits for being too portrait-like!

6. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Not at all; it was a perfectly valid comment, and I don't disagree at all; at this point it's a concept that I'm putting together to see if there's even a market for this.

7. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Yeahbut... you gotta like a sport where the whole thing is built around a bar!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

I would have given you a like and an agree as well, but I could only choose one.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MidnightUK

MidnightUK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Would be interesting to know where this concept / sales package went long term. We have a similar situation in the UK, where portraits of this age group are not standard for families to commission, at they seem to be in the USA.

Are senior portraits standard for most students across the whole of the USA or is it more common in certain areas or states?

I am curious also if the areas of Canada next to the USA are more engaged with this form and timing of young adult portraits than say more northern Canada? I suppose I am curious why it appears so cultural in the USA and not elsewhere in the world.

10. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    They're generally standard in my area of the US, as students are expected to provide their own yearbook photo. And since they're paying for a photograpger for that, the new trend is to get lifestyle/environmental portraits done as well. Many of these environmental shots are even becoming the yearbook shot now.

11. MidnightUK

MidnightUK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for that. Are students required to participate in a yearbook (no year books here in the UK)?

What happens if a student is too poor to commission a photo for the book?

What happens to the books - do the schools keep them, do the students get given them or purchase them? If they buy them, are they expensive?

Its so very different to here - now and again a photographer is commissioned by our schools, often having to pay to shoot in the school or the school gets a commission from photo sales. The photos are usually awful and little care is taken as really the school just want the money and a small snap to put on the pupils record, to make sure when a term report is written that the teacher is writing about the correct child. The photographer sends a plastic pack of various sized photos to the parents via the school/child. There is a lot of pressure to buy at least 1 photo however bad it is, because children get very hurt if their parents do not want the image of them. Its a bad experience that puts children off of pro photography experience. Everyone hated it as you were treated like sheep and looked terrible and it was very upsetting for families who were in financial difficulty. I wish more care was taken here in the UK, just for the childrens self esteem.

12. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

First I must confess I didn't carefully read ALL of the info posted here, so if I repeat something, please be patient with me.

The first thing I want to share it to remind you that you are the artist. Yes... you must please the ones writing the check, but you are the pro. Your client is relying on you for more than equipment and technical knowledge.

I find the black background to OK, but not without a background light. It doesn't have to be a lot, but something to give some separation.

Your lighting is a departure from anything I do. It seems to have a sharper edge shadow quality about it. I'm used to something softer. The scheme is interesting, especially in the second view.

The "senior portrait" has been a tradition since before I was in high school... class of 72. I use to shoot hundreds each year for many years. I think I shot 4 in the past two years. It still goes on, but expectations have been drastically lowered in the years of digital. Most of today's "photographers" will advise prospective clients to choose other than tired, old, stuffy studio work. I'm convinced it's due to the lack of studio access and little understanding of how to create lighting, along with no training in posing.

Gradually, the market has come to be satisfied with photos that are adequately (not properly) lit and have the right stuff used as props. It seems the high-schoolers themselves have always searched for the same goal... to be different. In their quest to be different, we find sofas in the woods and kids on railroad tracks.

-Pete