Senior Portraits - Concept Test #1

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by tirediron, May 29, 2016.

1. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My daughter's high school has an exclusive contract with a particular photographer for senior yearbook photos and there is no option to provide your own or go elsewhere. I believe this studio has a 5 year contract and subsidizes the cost of the yearbooks. Seniors, especially the girls, usually also do a photo session with them or with another photographer that is separate from the yearbook pic.

2. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Students are required to be in the yearbook, and if they want to purchase a copy they can. They cost roughly 50 US dollars in my area.

If the student can't afford to commission their own photos, the school brings in a photographer to take photos of everyone much the way you describe, and that photo is used.

3. MidnightUK

MidnightUK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the explanations everyone.

So, anyone in any country outside of the USA having luck selling similar youth packages?

4. tinwhistle

tinwhistle TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just finished up senior pictures for a young lady. Her school requires the year book picture to be a portrait from about shoulder high, they have a dress code for the yearbook picture, frown on props. All good ideas, I think. Her parents hired me to take the rest of her "senior" pictures as well. All were taken outdoors with a water theme, three different locations and several clothing changes. I'm new here and not sure if I can attach pictures. If I can I'll attach a couple.

Attached Files:

5. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Not to come off as a jerk, but I'd suggest that you aren't at a point with your photos that you should be charging for them yet.

The subject is significantly underexposed, her eyes are dark, the background is blown out, and you have a really awkward framing of her that cuts off her left arm and makes her right arm look huge. Her teeth look yellow, you've done no real post processing, etc.

Not even close to work you should be charging for. Period.

6. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    It's certainly not working for me; very definitely a cultural/regional thing. Oh well... experiment tried; experiment unsuccessful.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Have to agree with this critique; it appears that you've used no fill light at all, which was desperately needed for this image. Perhaps offer a reshoot?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Adding to the list, missed focus on the eyes, no skin smoothing or blemish removal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    That's too bad, it was a good idea. Maybe it will eventually catch on through social media. I would make sure your site comes up for your area if anyone Google searches Senior photo sessions.

10. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It must have been about 10 years ago....I attended a seminar from a Canadian Photographer who had a successful business, mainly doing high school seniors. I believe the guy's name was John Ratchford, out of N.S. He outlined the marketing that he used and how he got custom senior photos to 'catch on' there. It's was actually pretty 'small town'....advertising at 'The Mall' and with a bill board. Radio add were dirt cheap in his location as well.

I tried to look him up just now, and there is a website for a Photography studio, but it seems to be nothing more than a place holder.

11. jowensphoto

jowensphoto Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Touching on the cheerleader bit, so near and dear to my heart... I binge watched a netflix series of an all star cheer gym that has locations all through CA.

Perhaps not senior portraits, but I see a market there. The girls literally move from across the country or even from the Us to take part in these teams. Money is clearly no object (competitive cheer is mind blowing expensive), and what cheerleader doesn't want photos of herself?

• Like Like x 1