Senior Portraits - Concept Test #1

It must have been about 10 years ago....I attended a seminar from a Canadian Photographer who had a successful business, mainly doing high school seniors. I believe the guy's name was John Ratchford, out of N.S. He outlined the marketing that he used and how he got custom senior photos to 'catch on' there. It's was actually pretty 'small town'....advertising at 'The Mall' and with a bill board. Radio add were dirt cheap in his location as well.

I tried to look him up just now, and there is a website for a Photography studio, but it seems to be nothing more than a place holder.

If the school has a display case/wall for trophies, is another good place, especially for a star player. Reflections off the glass, etc.. Don't discount the action shots on the court during a game. Having lived down south for 30 years I can tell you parents are fanatical about football (not the round ball kind) from the pee wee through college. Catch their son in a good play on the field and price is no object. I suspect that basketball families are also the same. Don't forget the parents of Cheerleaders, they are just as proud. Cheerleader competitions are a big thing here.
School in general isn't nearly as big here as it is in the US, especially south/east US. The fanatical sports (hockey, football) are generally NOT school sports here.

I say get out of the studio for all of them. Most of the great senior shots I've seen have been taken outdoors.
There will definitely be an outdoor component, but this is kind of 'new ground' up here, so I don't want a complete departure from what parents are used to, more of a transition.

I like the idea of a locker room setting. Not crazy about a dark background. I think the dark background works nice with your veteran portraits but not here. Also if your going to use this ball I would wipe it down with water before shooting.
I am a bit of a sucker for dark backgrounds, but it's definitely not always appropriate. That ball was just what he happened to have; it's in pretty rough shape. "Real" shots would have a new, clean ball.
I say get out of the studio for all of them. Most of the great senior shots I've seen have been taken outdoors.
I agree to a point, Peg, but I hope photographers will strive to broaden their horizons and avoid the cliche deserted warehouses, railroad tracks, and graffiti-scarred inner city back alleys.

And I don't mean to imply that is what you were thinking of.
I don't see that being too popular up here in any event. I'm thinking of using the school or local landmarks, but it's going to be client dependent.

Touching on the cheerleader bit, so near and dear to my heart... I binge watched a netflix series of an all star cheer gym that has locations all through CA.

Perhaps not senior portraits, but I see a market there. The girls literally move from across the country or even from the Us to take part in these teams. Money is clearly no object (competitive cheer is mind blowing expensive), and what cheerleader doesn't want photos of herself?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back