Senior Portraits

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Lyncca, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Lyncca

Lyncca TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've been getting asked to do some senior portraits recently. When you do these, do you do the standard "drape" picture as part of your package for their school portrait or is that something the school does as part of the schoolbook pictures? Just wondering if I need to order the drape...

2. Bthornton

Bthornton TPF Noob!

You can use a drape if you want but I never have senior girls ask for it anymore. For the yearbook portrait it's a shirt of their choice done an a blue or gray background most of the time.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would think that it would depend on the school in question. Many schools probably take the standard 'year book' photo (or have a photographer come in and shoot them all). I've heard that some schools will allow the students (usually only the grads) to use a less formal photo which might come from a photographer of their own (you).

I'm still baffled at the 'Senior Portrait' market that you have down in the US. For many photographers it's big business...yet here in Canada, it's almost non existent.

4. Lyncca

Lyncca TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Really? Yea, it's huge down here. I have this photography thing all figured out. If I get in with the new born mom's (who want pics every month) and seniors, I will be set! :mrgreen:

5. Lyncca

Lyncca TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I guess I will wait until a consultation with the seniors and order a drape if/when I need it.

6. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When I see a post title with 'Senior Portraits'...my first thought is always 'Portraits of old people'. :lol:

I've got a sister in High school...so I'm going to try to drum up some business...but it's just not common up here. The schools have a photographer come in (I think the school board has a contract with a certain company) and those are the only photos.

7. amberlark

amberlark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you are interested in really great drapes check out Madcamp backgrounds. I really get behind them 100% as artists and artists should support other artists! All of their backgrounds are like buying an original work of art! I left a link above, check it out :D

Amber
    Kubota Image Tools team

8. Palyriot

Palyriot TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Around me, if you're a senior in high school, you get senior portraits. I'm not surprised that the demand for portrait photography is as big as it is in the U.S., for senior portraits at least.

9. Lyncca

Lyncca TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yea, their stuff is gorgeous, but unfortunately, $475 is a bit out of my price range for a single backdrop right now...

10. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Are you looking for a backdrop or a gown? When you said 'drape' I assumed you wanted the black gown that seniors wear for photos.

11. Lyncca

Lyncca TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was referring to what you are thinking of. The thingie you wear for your pictures.

12. onedayillknowbetter

onedayillknowbetter TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just my own little opinion: Senior Pictures bugged the living s*it out of me for the majority of my high school career (In the most beautiful city in the world :drool:, The Colony TX)
    At my school, we were required to go to the studio that was commissioned by the school to have our cap and gown portraits taken. Making you drive out to like Addison to have them taken, they hope that you're going to just do your whole portrait session then and there with the 18 year old photographers they have and the SAME EXACT BACKDROP EVERYWHERE!!! All the while, sessions run upwards from $700.
    My father took my Senior Pictures, and we went out to a farm and took them there. That white backdrop or fake background with your favorite little trinkets thing gets soooo old after a while. Why not offer location senior portraits? I was always so much more impressed with images not in front of a white background--and I think other people are as well. It makes it look more like lifestyle model photos rather than Senior Portraits, and everyone wants to look like a model in their photos.

I apologize if I came off a little harsh, but it really aggravated me when my friends spent thousands of dollars on their senior portraits and they really didn't look good. Charge them all you want, just make sure the work you're giving them is quality!:mrgreen: