TPF Noob!
Reaction score
DSC_0258-1.jpg

DSC_0276-1.jpg

DSC_0302-1.jpg

DSC_0339.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

Good stuff! always like to see something a little different.

Great colours... exactly what I needed to see on such a gloomy, overcast day here in Toronto.

as a senior myself, I say AWESOME JOB. i'm jealous.

Great colors and captures, but assuming this was a paid Senior shoot, I wonder what the rest of the pics look like.

I only say this because they really don't seem anything more than these girls could've captured on their own with a decent camera.

No offense, the shots are good!

RMThompson -

The only way these girls could get such captures with a "decent camera" was if they were good photographers.

I'd love to see some shots that just regular non-photographers took with a decent camera that you feel are comparable to these.

Great pictures-teenagers who aren't shy are so much fun to work with!:D Do you have any pictures with their eyes visible? That's the only thing extra I'd like to see added to this set. Other than that, it's apparent that their personality is shining in all of the photos & that's what counts.

I only say this because they really don't seem anything more than these girls could've captured on their own with a decent camera.

No offense, the shots are good!
Try capturing movement with a point and shoot. I dare you.

Fantastic work, RowmyF.

Thanks guys!

I definitely have my ups and down with my pictures... but felt like I did well with this shoot.

I am COMPLETELY open to constructive criticism, but feel like "well these could be taken with a P&S by anyone" doesn't count as that.

I do have "close up" shots..I just didn't want to image overload.

Here are some more:

DSC_0097-2.jpg

DSC_0171-1.jpg

DSC_0112-1.jpg

I am sorry you feel that my criticism wasn't helpful, so let me explain.

First, I said decent camera, not P&S. While the debate that a "point and shoot" camera is automatically not a decent camera is a conversation for another time, I am going to point out that even start DSLR's are the price range of the above average consumer's now-a-days. The D40 by Nikon was specifically targeted to this consumer.

That being said, what I meant by the comment was that the composition on some of the photos was weak. I don't mean it to be mean, because surely these photos are beautifully captured, and well exposed, but I personally don't dig the composition.

For starters, a few of the pictures have cropped hands and feet. Sure, that's not the biggest deal, we all do it from time to time, but the two seem glaring (to me), and seemingly could have been avoided. Some of them are cropped a bit too far, and others close, but this isn't really a big deal. (I would've liked to see the one with the trees a bit closer... maybe just my tastes!)

Secondly the angles these are shot at are straightforward and seemingly from normal shoulder length. This isn't always a bad thing, but I imagine some funky angles would've made some of these pop.

One last thing is lighting. Now I completely understand that it's VERY difficult to control lighting in outdoor situations. Even with a speedlight, It's hard to catch anything other than the even (and very nice) lighting that you have.

However, a few of the photos would've benefited greatly from some side lighting to add some depth to the faces, namely #1, (she blends into the background too mcuh) #2, and #6. Even something simple as a reflector might have helped, but again, I know this struggle and fight with it daily.

(I personally am in the process of using classic "rembrandt" lighting technique that uses a light to one side of the subject in combination with the ambient light. It adds some shadow and depth to the face, and leaves a triangle of soft light under the opposite eye. Might be a little bit too much for this, but figured I'd mention it.)

Anyway, that being said, I also want to point out that the colors are very velvety and soft, and while the models don't really POP out against them (their clothing is just as bright as the backgrounds), I think it really helps bring the youthful and funky feeling that these have.

The last batch of photos is better, IMO, and the last one especially. The DOF on the feet really does a lot to bring our attention to the models. The first one (on the last batch) is great and the model's eyes are right on the rule of thirds.

So please take my compliments first, and the criticism only with a grain of salt.

Ryan

Try capturing movement with a point and shoot. I dare you.

Fantastic work, RowmyF.

Once again, I'd like to point out that I did NOT say point and shoot. I said "decent camera".

My definition of a decent camera and yours might be too entirely different things.

BUT since you dared me, here is some action I captured with a Point and Shoot. These aren't the best photos in the world by far, but, here goes:

Here is a link to a NEW thread I started with movement captured on a Canon A610... a rather outdated Point and Shoot:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1436571

Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread...

Threadkiller strikes once again.

:(

Can one of you Americans please explain to me what senior portraits are? Do they go into the yearbook at the end of high school or something?

Most reactions

Back