Sensitive topic in photography.

craig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
craigblank.com
This article in the NYT written by Cathy Horyn is dated, but causing quite a stir on the boards. Plus there is some amazing work by the incomparable Steven Meisel.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/19/fashion/19BLACK.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Personally I think races other the WASP's have been getting the short end of the stick for years. It is what I call the Disney theory. Everyone has straight hair and big round eyes. As opposed to distinguishing ethnic traits. What are your thoughts? Certainly it is a topic that can not be swept under the rug for much longer.

Love & Bass

Meh, I'm more interested in how long it will take until normal-shaped people are photographed in great poses wearing cool clothes. The race thing is tired, it only plays in America.

Interesting thought. Plus size modeling is a growing industry for sure. And we can also say that modeling and fashion have nothing to with real life. None the less I live in America and I am interested in how and why a certain look is force fed to us in all the biggest magazines etc.

On a side note the Steven Meisel spread has appeared in Italian Vogue. Plans are only in the works for it to appear here in America.

Love & Bass

the "Certain look" is pushed by dress makers, makup producers etc because its simple. Push a certain look and you only have to produce a limited line of cloths/fashion and remain a top seller. As soon as they open the floodgates to alternative fashions and differences they have to start producing more and more variations, more design, production and cost.

How about the "K factor"? The K factor (I don't know why it's called that) is rumored to be a camera industry secret that instead of middle gray, most amateur camera meters actually measure for slightly brighter than middle gray to account for the idea that most snap shot portraits taken are of lighter skinned whites and asians. Is it true? I don't know. It's sure hard to find much info on the internet, but when I sold cameras I was told about it by camera reps from several major brands.

Interesting article. There are very few of color in major ads. In the end though it's all about perception. If societies brain has been warped for centuries it won't change over night. I wish it would but acceptance from the masses is everything. Sad though the masses are now and will be minorities in the future. Self-hate doesn’t help at all.

Excellent responses so far. Let me put it this way; name or pick a style model you and a high end client (editorial fashion) would kill to work with and why.

Personally I am gearing more toward a latin look. I think my work needs to go exotic.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

Back