Sensor Cleaning Advice

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings fellow photographers, I come in search of advice with regards to cleaning my sensor on my 350d - it is very dirty as proven by a small aperture shot at a white wall.

I have read all about the methods for cleaning and I want to do the wet cleaning method with solvent and lint free cloth. Trouble is, all the sites I have seen only recommend using Eclipse fluid and Pec Pads, trouble is that it is difficult to impossible to find these products in New Zealand, only one place I found that sells Pec Pads wants $40 for them! I am considering other options - there is a kit for sale on trademe (our version of ebay) here:
Camera and lens cleaning kit, incl Microfibre for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand
Which contains a pack of lint free lens tissues - now the $40 question is would you trust these or just shell out the extra?

And in regards to cleaning fluid, it seems that from the research that I have done that any ethanol or methanol based solvent that evaporates quickly without leaving residue will do the job. I am thinking about using meths (methylated spirits) - I have seen a couple of reports of people using this with no issue, but if any of you can show me otherwise I am keen to see it.

Thanks!

Don't think I would use lens cleaning paper on the sensor/low-pass filter.

And you want to be careful about the choice of cleaning fluid you use. The 350D doesn't use a tin oxide sensor but you still should make sure the cleaning solution you decide on is safe for the sensor.

Most reactions

Back