Sensor Cleaning

IngMacca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone.
I open a new post because after some research on internet and on the forum I found many many informations, but not all of them in agree with each other and some quite old with broken links attached. :)
I'm interesed in home-made sensor cleaning in order to have more frequent cleans (i HATE dust on the sensor) and to save some money.
Is there a "de-facto" best technique and cleaning kit for modern homemade DSLR sensor cleaning?

A friend of mine did this work his own and after two weekes he had a shutter problem... maybe is just a coincidence, but i'm very worried about that.

Thanks a lot!

I use Visible Dust products. Never had an issue.

The only way sensor cleaning could cause a shutter problem is when the cleaning was done improperly. Either excess fluid was allowed to flow into the camera, or your friend didn't use a fully-charged battery and the shutter closed on the part that was in contact with the sensor.

It's more likely the shutter problem just happened to coincide with the cleaning. Odds are, the issue was in the works anyway and the cleaning had nothing to do with it.

I use Visible Dust gear as well. In fact, it's very difficult damage anything when you're cleaning your sensor, unless you literally use a garden hose or compressed air. You're not actually cleaning the sensor, you're cleaning a VERY hard mineral glass filter in front of it, and the shutter is tucked safely out of the way unless you shoving your clean tools about like a jack rabbit with Tourettes! You might smear or smudge it, but that can all be easily fixe with a little patience.

The best way to clean your sensor is to not let it get dirty in the first place. Practice good lens-changing technique, don't leave the body uncovered, My D700 which I've had since shortly after they first hit the market, has only ever had the sensor cleaned with the built-in cleaning function, and then only rarely (every couple of months at most).

Same here. As far as only rarely have to clean my image sensor by hand.
Use good lens changing technique and the camera's built-in-cleaning feature - if it has one.

The frequency of needed sensor cleaning depends on your frequency of use.

The frequency of needed sensor cleaning depends on your frequency of use.
And the environment of use!!
Totally! I have found changing my lenses in the vehicle to be really bad (although I still occasionally do it). Last year I went on a road trip to the Yukon. I cleaned my sensor before I left. On the trip I was constantly switching between wildlife and landscape lenses. When I got home and uploaded my photos into lightroom, my landscapes where riddled with spots. It's so disappointing. I always try and change my lens quickly and with the camera facing down, but dust in vehicles floats in every direction.

I have now bought a second camera body and keep my wildlife lens on that, so there is not as much switching while on the move.

Most reactions

Back