sensor problem?

Jon0807

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm noticing that in all my pictures there is one red pixel in the exact same spot no matter what ISO. It's more noticeable when the spot is over dark areas in the picture. Is this a sensor problem? I can probably just remove it with photoshop but still....this camera is only a few months old.

Sounds like a 'stuck or dead pixel'

I'm not sure if you can fix it or not...

I did a lil bit of research on dead/stuck/hot pixels and found this:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]RECOMMENDATIONS[/SIZE][/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Every camera does this.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Even if it's OK today, your camera may start doing it tomorrow.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Don't worry about it. If you look hard enough you'll always find them. [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DON'T return a camera because of hot pixels. The replacement will, too, over time. [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Likewise, don't bother hand-picking a camera. I used to do this, and even the ones I picked as clean eventually picked up some hotties. [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sensors are analog, and as you analog circuit designers know, everything matters. Over time hot pixels will come and go. They won't move, but their intensity will vary. [/FONT]​

Is this true? Does every digital camera eventually develop "hot pixels"?

I would think so...there are, after all, several million pixels...odd are that a few of them will have problems.

I just did a search on these forums (go figure) and looks like it's a pretty regular occurance. I also did a few tests and found that I have more than one. I guess I can live with a couple.

If it does at at low ISO and high shutterspeeds then I would consider having it sent in to get the pixel mapped out. But as the shutter speed drops and sensitivity increases they start happening and in that case it is quite normal. I can see about 4 pixels on my camera at ISO400 at 1/10th.

The biggest problem is can you live without your camera for a few weeks while it goes though the service channels.

Most reactions

Back